Severums With Hole In the Head

djvant

My Severums look like they are getting hole in the head. Ive read on the net that a good diet can help prevent hole in the head in them. I am currently feeding them spiralena pellets and nova stick m and nova rift. Is there anything in particular i can feed them or do to help stop hole in the head developing?

My Severums look like they are getting hole in the head. Ive read on the net that a good diet can help prevent hole in the head in them. I am currently feeding them spiralena pellets and nova stick m and nova rift. Is there anything in particular i can feed them or do to help stop hole in the head developing?

Hi djvant,

I have read the same, and (in my limited experience) I believe in it. As with all things though, it is not the only factor that can prevent or cause hole-in-the-head (HITH). If you have managed to sort through the thread posted by livingart, and ignored the argument about Metronidazole, you will realise that overally quality of life plays a big part in this affliction - ie water parameters, temperature, food and generally, stress.

HITH, or head and lateral line erosion (HLLE) is caused by the fish dissolving tissue along the lateral line in times of nutritional deficiency - this can be caused by the above life quality issues and/or parasite/protozoa. Hex is often blamed solely for this issue, hence the use of Metro, but this is often just the catalyst or even non-existent. I have seen Discus that are fed only blood worms and freeze dried tubifex develop HITH due to a lack of nutritional balance.

I have treated recently an adult Brown Discus for HITH, with Metronidazole, successfully. To be honest though, I believe her issues were actually caused by a bad diet and the stress of her transport bag leaking between AKLD and CHCH. Once I trained her to eat food other than bloodworms, the 1.5mm long hole has almost completely gone, she is fatter, and just looks happier.

good luck

I agree with what the others have said but I would add a calcuim rich diet to the list as well as ensuring the water contains mineral salts.

Check out Aquadur plus

This is from the petmart web site

724900 JBL AQUADUR PLUS 250G

* Introduces 70 salts (no NaCl = common salt) into soft water or water that has accumulated as a result of osmosis. Stabilises the pH by introducing carbonate-hardness-producing substances.

* Prevents and heals the hole in the head disease caused by mineral deficiencies.

Actually, that is an excellent point. Fish generally ingest calcium as needed from the water. In marine fishes, there is an abundance of calcium but in freshwater fishes, there may be comparatively little calcium in the water and as such, the fish could be reduced to mobilising bodily stores from the bones and scales. Around a third of a fish's body calcium stores is found in the scales and calcium is mobilised from the scales in priority to that from the bones. This is especially true for females that are developing eggs. The result is thin weakened scales (among other things). The point is, I wonder if weakened scales might be a contributing factor to HITH.

I recently (6-7 months ago) had hole in the head with one of my green severums (about 5 small holes about 2mm in size) - i started doing 2x weekly 40% water changes to get really clean water, and checked all water params - i bought GH and KH tests to check hardness as well as some people said this could be an issue. i found my hardness levels were on the low side of this websites values http://www.aquariumlife.net/profiles/south-american-cichlids/green-severum/100020.asp so i bought some JBL AquaDur Plus from http://www.petmart.co.nz/cart_search.html?Search=aquadur&x=0&y=0 - i up'd the hardness about 2 degrees and after about 2 months i found that the HITH had cleared up 100%.

hope that helps :)

Skip