clown loaches & discus

newfisher

Hi there anyone got an opinion about if I should keep 6 clowns and 6 discus together? Discus are still little aout 4.5cm loaches are about 8cm and frisky. Brought the discus home on Saturday and they were fine hanging out in front and eating heaps. Monday night I moved the heater and put another rock in the tank for the clowns. now the discus are hiding in a corner and not coming out to eat. Any help would be great.

Seen it done before, they both like warm soft water. My only concern would be mixing larger loaches with small timid discus. Once the discus have a bit of size on them and are settled and eating and will compete for food then it should work fine, but if the shy juvi discus have to compete with the boisterous loaches you might have trouble getting them enough food.

I have to agree with David R.

The Discus might have trouble getting food with larger clowns in the tank.

I also agree. The discus are not likely to compete for food but instead will probably withdraw and refuse to eat. IME once they decide they are not going to eat its very rare for them to start again. Is it worth it?

Discus are still little aout 4.5cm loaches are about 8cm and frisky.

I apologise. I did not read that little bit. At 4.5cm I would be more focused on feeding the discus up and ensuring they grow uniformly. The clown loaches, especially in that number might prove to be a problem with them.

The discus will not compete for food; instead they will shy away.

When the discus are slightly larger you can have CL's and them together, just as I do. My clown loaches are all about 2yrs old to 5 years old and are not your 'typical bottom feeders' and generally eat food that is at the top or is sinking, just as the discus do and all fish get loads of food.

its hard, i believe with a group like that, you should be ok.

but then again, you dont wannar isk stunting discus either.

its a call you have to make IMO.

in a tank big enough, perhaps you can do it and feed in two different places?

someone here told me to do that, now my discus are happier.

but now i have 20, ranging from monster discus to 3.5 smallest discus. they all eat and the small ones eat till bloated.

in fact, every discus ignores the small ones, they only fight amongst the same size ones lol..

its funny the heirarchy they form.

today all discus at the front no problems with eating the discus chase to cls away. feeding the cls in another spot to the discus. I think I'll on sell the clowns as I have 3 new discus arriving soon. I will miss them but maybe get some more later.

• 1 year later...

I have about 25ish clowns from 8cm to 20cm with 4 5cm discus and the discus are the first to get food ever time, the clowns don't stand a chance because the discus snap the food up as soon as it hits the water.

people say that they shouldn't be kept together because clowns like fast flowing water and discus don't but my discus are the opposite they stay down the end of the tank swimming into the current strait from the power head.