Breeding Pandas, first time breeder

waterlogged

Hey guys i've decided to give breeding my pandas a go. on several occasions i have found a few fry when cleaning my tank but only two servived and the father then died. after giving the mother away and getting two more from animates i have found a few more fry. i think i have one female and 3 males but not sure. Any info would be great thanks. i'm thining of moving them to a small tank so i can see their interaction and try find out which is my breeding pair. :bounce:

I am so tempted to tell you to provide them with some bamboo thickets but I won't :lol:

A friend found the most successful way to breed corys was to put them in a small tank, let the water go very green, and then forget they are there. When she went back, 2 or 3 months later, to empty the tank there were a lot of fry all happily living in there. The fish had never been fed but obviously had enough algae to live on :wink:

That works well with some types Caryl, others like to eat the eggs and you will get hardly any.

Condition them on Bloodworms and give em a cold water change (tonight would be good) and wait for the next batch of bad weather to come thru.

Chuck a handful of oak leaves in the tank, this will soften the water and give them a good place to hide and spawn on.

Once they spawn either remove the parents or gently roll the eggs off the glass on to your finger good aeration is a must. meth blue helps stop infertile eggs (the white ones) fungusing, but I prefer to remove them with tweezers.

Once the wrigglers have absorbed thier egg sac feed on microworms or decap brine shrimp.

Keep the water clean and you will end up with a primo group of cats.

Good luck, I havent done Pandas yet but they are on my list once my latest ones are big enough.

I will be doing an article on breeding cories for the next Aquarium World

I use to breed pandas. What I did was setup a small tank (20-30ltr) and then put a sponge filter and a heater set to about 25-26C. I made about 2-3 good thick brown spawning mops (about 200 strands each). I put the mops at one end and the heater and filter down the other. introduce your pandas I used 6 (turned out to be 3 males 3 females). feed blood worms flake algae tablets and mine breed about 24 hours after I did a cold water change.

I use to breed pandas. What I did was setup a small tank (20-30ltr) and then put a sponge filter and a heater set to about 25-26C. I made about 2-3 good thick brown spawning mops (about 200 strands each). I put the mops at one end and the heater and filter down the other. introduce your pandas I used 6 (turned out to be 3 males 3 females). feed blood worms flake algae tablets and mine breed about 24 hours after I did a cold water change.

How old were the pandas? I'm keen to breed any form of cory, preferibly one thats cheap and breeds at a young age

Yeah they were about a year old as I read they take a while to mature. If you want to breed any easy cory breed peppereds or bronze as they're easy and have more eggs (the breeding group of pandas only had about 30 eggs each time they bred).

• 4 weeks later...

well i haven't touched my 4 pandas and just left them in my 300l community tank and now have atleast 6 about the size or a bumble bee gobie. I've now taken the older 4 out and put them in a separate tank to hopefully breed. i'm leaving the condition the same as my community tank so shouldn't have any problems. the only thing i don't know is which or the 4 are male and female. does anyone know a full proof and if possible easy way to sex pandas?

• 1 month later...

ok so i keep finding more and more little guys in my comunity tank and took the 4 parents out over a month ago lol. think i have about ten from atleast 3 different spawings. any one got hints on how to catch them whit out moving all my gear out of the tank. will wait till their bigger first