Help!! does my choc zebra have ich?? - update

BikBok

I'm dosing the main tank this afternoon

Have you actually seen any infected fish in the main tank since removing the pleco?

I'd be inclined to increase the temp to 30C just to speed up the cycle, and maybe add an extra airstone or two.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you actually seen any infected fish in the main tank since removing the pleco?

I'd be inclined to increase the temp to 30C just to speed up the cycle, and maybe add an extra airstone or two.

no I haven't seen any spotty stage ich in the main tank but i removed a guppy that was flashing, Last night I saw one of the gouramis flick himself a couple of times but there wern't any spots today. There might possibly be a spot on the female betta so I just don't want to let this get out of control in the main tank.

QUESTION: If the fish are flicking themselves against objects but there are no visible spots yet, is the parasite still susceptible to the medication at that stage?

read this! :D

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Thought you might like the article. so far the nicest and most accurate one I have read.

The Ich life cycle is temperature dependent. Higher temperatures within its livable range speed up every stage of the life cycle, while the lower temperatures will slow it down. At 18°C/64°F the cycle takes 10-12 days to complete.

It has been found that Ich does not infect new fish at 29.4°C/85°F (Johnson, 1976), stops reproducing at 30°C/86°F (Dr. Nick St. Erne, DVM, pers. comm.), and dies at 32°C/89.5°F (Meyer, 1984), [1]

I love its use of references, and it reinforces the concepts I have been using ever since I first started keeping fish to treat ich.

I think most other articles are rubbish :lol:

QUESTION: If the fish are flicking themselves against objects but there are no visible spots yet, is the parasite still susceptible to the medication at that stage?

They aren't all going to be at exactly the same stage, so I'd continue treatment constantly rather than try to time it with spots appearing/disappearing. If you haven't seen spots on the fish in the main tank them IMO stick with salt, increased temperature and frequent water changes unless you notice them getting worse. I've had fish that flash randomly, it could be many different things, I wouldn't take it as a sure sign of whitespot.

Check for velvet. Easiest to spot I find with a torch at night with the lights out. Can also come with stress.

velvet! - gee , that would make things even more difficult for me but I suppose I better rule it out.

My two dwarf gourami have a golden sheen on their heads. It showed up in some recent photographs I took of "elvis" who is recovering from being stuck in a driftwood tunnel. (Hence the tatty dorsal and spot of thin skin on his head, was way worse a week ago, this is the improved version!)

is this velvet? It only showed up under torchlight or in this case photographic flash

BikBok-elvishealing1-svs.jpg

BikBok-elvishealing2-wfo.jpg

BikBok-elvishealing3-v5z.jpg

NO SPOTS

doesn't appear to be any white spots on any fish in the main tank and my sensitive fish have survived 24hrs of the treatment. Haven't seen any fish flicking/flashing today either. Feel like I might be getting on top of this... unless i have velvet to deal with !!!!!

Q TANK:

The fish seem happy and the spots have lessened. I've been enjoying seeing the zebra out and about as the QT tank is close to the PC and I can see him easily. He thinks I can't see him! (got a towel draped over top so it's slightly darkened)

QT TANK

well my QT tank is finally spot free! zebby had two sets of spots and the guppy got covered but is now clear. The other guppy and platy who were flashing did not develop any spots.

I will keep the temp at 29oC for 3 more days and then start to reduce temp and salinity.

COMMUNITY TANK

In the main tank, which I gave one dose of blue circle cure,there is a single dwarf gourami with a single spot on one fin. So I guess I need to continue to treat that tank. Once that's been clear for a few days I will put the QT fish back in and give the filter some bacteria boost. My otos,kuhli and whiptail seem to be coping.

I really hope I can beat this and not lose any fish in the process. Thanks for all the help !!!

QT GUPPY TANK

Mean while my imported guppys are in their own QT just waiting out their time until I can put a free from ich NZ guppy in with them and see if the new guys have any werid virus that will infect them.

THE HEXY

My other tank , thank goodness has escaped all the drama... may it stay that way! My black whiptail in that one is near on full size, he looks awesome.

Once everything has settled down and everyone is back in their own tanks I will look at finally getting my rainbow shark for the community tank.