Guppies???

gagaforfish

My little brother fished some random 'guppy' fish out of the creek at the end of our road in a butterfly net. He is keeping them in my old 10ltank and feeding them this free sample fish food from our local pet shop.

Do you have any idea what they could be?

They are about 2-3cm long and grey, thats all i can tell you from what i have seen of them.....

I will post a picture of them later. (waters to murky right now)

they do look like female guppies except that their dorsal fin is set further back than a guppy. They were brought into NZ as mosquito fish because soldiers thought they were going to get malaria here!

there are fines if you are caught breeding them or releasing them.... and yes very aggressive. will even turn on each other!

Woah. I just googled them. I think brother is feeding them to our cats...

Cruel, maybe, but hes a 12year old boy so.....

Thanks everyone!

Better feeding them to the cats than him being sentenced for it, I think it's up to $200K and/or 5 years in prison.

Also...Hahaha, Another, "Hey I found guppies in the stream!" :)

• 2 weeks later...
they do look like female guppies except that their dorsal fin is set further back than a guppy. They were brought into NZ as mosquito fish because soldiers thought they were going to get malaria here!

there are fines if you are caught breeding them or releasing them.... and yes very aggressive. will even turn on each other!

:o

There is a trader on TM who I bought a plant from who had a tank of these he was breeding...

not sure why tho

:o

There is a trader on TM who I bought a plant from who had a tank of these he was breeding...

not sure why tho

You have to be careful that you are not confusing leopard fish for gambusia as they can be similar to the untrained eye and leopard fish are legal..

ar they sorta like cockabelly? or are they cockabelly? cause i remember that when i was little i used to go to lake wairarapa and catch the little fish out of the stream that connected to the lake back then i didn't even have a tropical tank so now that i think about it these things that i call cockabellys (my parent told me that name) do resemble guppies. :lol:

ar they sorta like cockabelly? or are they cockabelly? cause i remember that when i was little i used to go to lake wairarapa and catch the little fish out of the stream that connected to the lake back then i didn't even have a tropical tank so now that i think about it these things that i call cockabellys (my parent told me that name) do resemble guppies. :lol:

Cockabullies look nothing like guppies other than both being fish.:)

• 3 weeks later...

well, I asked him what they were, and he said "mosquito fish"

Leopard fish are illegal?

Gambusia is illegal for sure?

Leopardfish are legal.

Yes, Gambusia are illegal for sure. That's like asking, "Are you sure theft is illegal?"