Aarons First Marine setup Journal – Lots of PHOTOS

ar-photography

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Reef im using DI water, tested for phosphates, showed 0.

Does the algae mean I have phosphates and that the test kit isnt good enough? cheers

:roll: , no, listen to what people say or research, your algae is completely normal and is a good thing at this early stage.

Be care of product pushing and advise aimed at "getting at other people".

Wait, the algae will grow, then start to wane and then disappear, as long as you keep normal maintenance and water changes up. You cannot take shortcuts to avoid this, it is completely as it should be.

you could change the shape of your rockwork aaron to allow some height for corals to grow

Thanks, I’ll do some redecorating this weekend when I do a 20-30% water change and pop a pic or 2 up.

Is an island layout better or can I put it hard up against the back. I understand this will make the back almost impossible to clean / scrape.

Hey Reef im using DI water, tested for phosphates, showed 0.

Does the algae mean I have phosphates and that the test kit isnt good enough? cheers

Minor Algae is normal for setting up tanks, however if you add a PO4 remover it will help to reduce nutrients in the tank so that the algae will starve and substantially reduce growth,

Algae does not just use po4, it uses the waste in your tank which will come from the rock

You could also turn the lights off as algae can not grow with no light.

Update..

I now have plenty of visible algae growing it’s the yellowy brown colour.

The water parameters are as below.

SG:1.025

pH:8.0-8.2 (Colour is hard to pick)

Ammonia: 4 ppm (mg/L)

Nitrite: 1.0 ppm (mg/L)

Nitrate: 10 ppm (mg/L)

Photo Update

Below is the maturing Diatoms on the live rock so far.

mg2839t.jpg

mg2840.jpg

mg2846q.jpg

This is the bottom of my tank should i be cleaning this up or wait for it to die off?

mg2842.jpg

How do you think it looks? Am I on track ?

as it builds up, siphon what you can off as you do water changes, it will go, to be replaced by green hair algae, just do exactly the same, siphon off what you can, and that to will slowly wane.

Well after dislocating my right shoulder Friday night and spending over 4 hours in hospital. I managed to get my partner today to do a few test for me.

The Diatoms as pretty much taken over my live rock i have pulled off any hair algae that started to form. all scraps have been collected up from the bottom of the tank.

Tested Ammonia this morning its sitting between the shades of 4.0 - 8.0 ppm (mmg/L) im going to be doing a 20% water change so hopefully that will help bring it down.

SG: 1.024

pH :8.2

Ammonia: 4.0 - 8.0 ppm (mg/L)

Nitrite: 1.0 ppm (mg/L)

Nitrate: 10 ppm (mg/L)

So how am i looking guys

Thanks

Today i have found about 30 COLLONISTA SNAILS in my display tank. always good to they find out they are a good hitchhiker

These small algae grazers are nocturnal. You'll notice little white spots on your glass, which upon closer inspection, are tiny checkerboard snails. They will reproduce well and are beneficial. They stay small. The largest one I've seen is about 1/4" across.

collonista.jpg

have also my macro algae in the refuge has hundreds of new shoots and roots.

Tests Results

SG: 1.025

Ammonia: 0.00 ppm (mmg/L)

Nitrite: 1.00 ppm (mmg/L)

Nitrate: 5.0-10.0 ppm (mmg/L)