Availability of floating plants

Sophia

Hello

I'm planning to set up a small killie tank over winter and would like to know what sort of floating plants are available in general. This is not me fishing for freebies, am just wanting to what is in this country as opposed to what I see in the library books. :D

There haven't been many/any of these at the LFS when I've looked:

Carolina Fairy Moss - Azolla caroliniana

Amazon Frogbit - Limnobium laevigatum

Lesser Duckweed - Lemna minor (Is this what you see in the ditches or some other breed? If it's the same will it survive if I nick a handful and put it in a tropical tank?)

Dwarf Duckweed - Wolffia arrhiza

At this stage I've decided against using riccia as a floating plant as I would like to cover some stones with it instead.

thanks in advance :bounce:

Azolla filiculoides tends to perish indoors, like duckweed it can be found in ponds or streams. Lemna minor seems to do well in tanks indoors at temperate of tropical conditions, it can be a bit of a nuisance to get rid of if you decide you do not like it.

I have Wolffia arrhiza in my daphnia drum, it disappears over winter and returns in the summer, never tried in in my tanks, as I fear, like Lemna it will become a pain to get rid of.

I have not seen Limnobium laevigatum, so cannot comment.

What sort of filtration are you looking at having in your killie tank?

you can use duckweed, indian fern and/or ludwigia helminthorrhiza.

Tiger lotus is good to form a canopy.

indian fern I'm not keen on much - i had it in the tank with the big filter so maybe that was to blame but i found it too messy

is ludwigia helmxxx available in shops or do I get it from the creek? - otherwise known as Bushy seedbox or Rattlebox haha. I like the idea of a flowering plant in the aquarium. I was also harbouring secret longings for a tiger lotus so glad you mentioned that one :D

What sort of filtration are you looking at having in your killie tank?

probably a sponge filter - i haven't finished researching that part

How does the duckweed become a pain? Ii had envisaged it floating about on the top and if it got too much I would scoop some out - does it get everywhere in the tank like java moss

Good light and a deep tank as the roots are huge.

Its a bit like an iceberg. At least twice as big below the water.

It can be quite nutrient demanding and will rot easily if it does not like conditions. Avoid temperature extremes.

How deep is your tank?

I have a few tanks with Crypt affinis in pots that the leaves cover the surface, Tanks are 310 x 200 x 200mm.

I also have a tank with ambulia growing in it on the surface the stalks are held down with a rock, there is no substrate and one of Sam's favourite clip on lamps with a power saver lamp in it.

crypt-flower-03.jpg

That's because this one is under a manky 60w Philips softone filament lamp in a clip on lamp holder - not some high faluting squillion k fluorescent tubes :wink:

Yup clown killie

Not very pretty...

crypt-flower-02.jpg

Use Riccia. I is GREAT! I have it in my tank, and it has beautiful compact growth, looks pretty, and if you want to get rid of it just grab a net and fish it out of your tank. I got mine out of a local river, and just gave it a good wash and it's fine. It will also subdue the light and let a bit through, which will show the killies' colour at it's best. It will also prevent them from jumping out of the tank. It is really easy to care for. Just give it soft water (well duh, you'll have that anyway if your keeping killies) and good light. That Ludwigia stuff would be good, as it has long roots and the killies would like that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My tanks all have duckweed. Periodicaly needs scooping out, but provides some nice surface cover for the more timid fish, and stands in for overhanging riparian vegetation for the lurkers.

My understanding is that azolla does ok only if the water surface is quite still (it breaks easily) and is under strong light. Only add a few pieces and allow it to spread if conditions are right, a large load will dump roots and rotting fragments everywhere.

WHen I was a kid I found this floating plant that was shaped like a (IIRC) smooth heart-shaped fat pillow, with several longitudinal grooves and masses of black furry roots underneath. Anyone know what that was?

i bought some azolla and promptly killed it within a few days

I think it came from an outside pond so either it didn't like my low tech 'tropical' bucket with light nearby or... like you say it ruined the water with it's roots and general crap as there was quite a lot of it. Shame it died as it looked nice, but if I see any more I will try just a little bit as you say. Anyway off to get more duckweed this weekend in the meantime. :bounce:

WHen I was a kid I found this floating plant that was shaped like a (IIRC) smooth heart-shaped fat pillow, with several longitudinal grooves and masses of black furry roots underneath. Anyone know what that was?

Did it look like this Stella?

pistia_statiotes.jpg