DIY CO2 Systems

Joe

I have a DIY co2 system, and I have ordered 2 diffusers. I just wondered, is it nessecery to check the amount of co2 in my tank? It is 100cm long, 50cm high and 30cm wide and holds 150 liters. I did a bit of research and found these things called drop checkers. If it is nessecery to check co2 in DIY systems, then are drop checkers availible in NZ and what sort would I need (also what brands are best)? Is there anything that is better than drop checkers that sits in the tank that you can read straight away without having to do tests?

Joe

CO2 usually has a relationship with the pH and kH of the water, this is how drop checkers work. I've never used one, if the fish look like they're gasping for air at the surface, there's likely too much CO2.

HTH

The whole point in the DIY system is that it doesn't cost heaps. The preassurised ones cost way too much, plus you have to fill them up every couple of weeks, and mum would never let me anyway because of the price. I couldn't afford one anyway. But DIY systems are just as good, and when you've got the right gear for them and got them running smothely, they are just as good as pressurised systems. Some people have beautiful tanks without co2, but I need it in my tank as I have ferns and mosses, which grow quicker with co2. At the moment, my tank is overrun with staghorn, black beard, green spot and cyanobacter algae. I have a plan in mind, and I'll deal to everything after conference once I've got some Flourish Excel. Then I can redo my tank, and add more bogwood so the ferns and mosses have more surface to grow on. So far I have Bolbitis heudelotii (only a tiny bit. I need more!!!), some Windelov (again, a tiny bit), Christmas moss and normal Java fern. I'm also planning on using anubias nana, so I need to get some of that too. Other plants that I've got that are going to be used are Sagattaria sp and mondo grass. I need to try and find some Cyperus helferi.

Pressurised CO² doesn't need to be filled up every week, more like every 6-9 months, depending on size of CO² cylinder. I know a guy with a 400L heavily planted tank + 3.5kg bottle just refilled his after 8 months, and it cost was $13.

The initial investment is rather sizey, but DIY aint got nothin' on pressurised systems, I can safely say this after trying to faff about for half a year trying to get my DIY running good and then finally giving in and going pressurised.

I'm still going to do DIY because, as I've already said, I can't afford it and my parents wouldn't let me have one if I asked. They know nothing about tropical fish and plants, and every time I want to upgrade to something better, they say "Well, why do you need this? You've been fine until now..." and then they say no if I ask for that same thing again. So it would be the same with a preassurised Co2 system.

No!

You never, ever attempt to remove the disc. That would ruin the diffuser completely. They are heat fused together so that there is no gap between the glass and the ceramic disc that would allow the CO2 to escape.

You soak them in a solution of bleach and water and clean them with a toothbrush. Do not use something with metal bristles as this will damage the frit.

Make sure to remove the bleach from the diffuser as you do not want bleach to enter your tank with fish in there.

Rinse in plain water until you can't smell bleach on the diffuser any more.

MORE QUESTIONS!!!

Is it possible to get beetle counters or bubble counters (or whatever they're called) for DIY systems and are they nessecery? Also, would this work:

Have a large CO2 fermentation bottle, and have a airline coming from it, then have one of those airline divider thingies and then have 2 airlines coming from it, and attach each of the two airlines to a diffuser and have one diffuser at each end of my tank?

Or will I have to have a seperate bottle for each diffuser and airline? Could I have an electronic heat pad wrapped around the bottle to keep it warm to increase the CO2 production during the day, and then turn the pad off at night when I don't need the CO2?

Not necessary at all. you should be able to count your bubbles in the diffuser if you so wish to do so.

Personally I have better things to do during the day than to count bubbles :lol: ... Like troll this forum for instance. :D

Oh and have a separate bottle for each diffuser - this is DIY not pressurised.

If you use 2 diffusers on 1 bottle, you will run out of the mixture just under twice as fast as if you used 1 diffuser on the bottle.

Remember that all diffusers are not made alike, so if you use a T joint, and it is easier for the gas to pass through 1 diffuser than the other, the second diffuser will work much less than the first.

I'm a bit weary of using plastic any thing with CO2 as CO2 destroys common plastics, like those used in T joints; after a while of exposure.

If you would like I'd be happy to send you some yeast as well ha ha.

A 3kg packet of sugar costs like 4 bucks? Maybe if you did the dishes or vacuum the carpets or something else like that you could trade that job for a 3kg packet of sugar that will be yours. if you are as good as bargaining as I was you'd get more than just 1 packet :wink:

If you have one bottle and two diffusers only one will work as the CO2 will take the path of least resistance which will be the one diffuser. You will need two bottles but it is not a lot of yeast that you use so your mum won’t even notice an extra teaspoon missing. Or you could tell her you are using the same amount but halving the bottle size and splitting it in to two.

The heating pad is not needed if you sit it next to your tank because the tank will heat it for you.

You'll have more luck getting the 2 bottles and using more yeast and sugar than you would getting another tank Joe :wink:

Have you got another teacher only day?? :o

Are you taking a half day or whole day off school next Friday or do we have to wait until school finishes to leave for conference?

If you have one bottle and two diffusers only one will work as the CO2 will take the path of least resistance which will be the one diffuser. You will need two bottles but it is not a lot of yeast that you use so your mum won’t even notice an extra teaspoon missing. Or you could tell her you are using the same amount but halving the bottle size and splitting it in to two.

The heating pad is not needed if you sit it next to your tank because the tank will heat it for you.

My tank is on a strong, sturdy desk, and my tank covers most of the desk, and there is no room for the bottle. I've been told by JenniferH that the bottle must be placed well below the tank, so I have it by my filter wrapped in a towel. By the way, my mum notices everything!!!

I'm a bit weary of using plastic any thing with CO2 as CO2 destroys common plastics, like those used in T joints; after a while of exposure.

Can you get airlines and joints that are CO2 resistent and are they realitivlty cheap?

You'll have more luck getting the 2 bottles and using more yeast and sugar than you would getting another tank Joe :wink:

Have you got another teacher only day?? :o

Are you taking a half day or whole day off school next Friday or do we have to wait until school finishes to leave for conference?

I'm not feeling to well today, and I thought what a good time to rome around the forums. I'm having the whole day off school next week, so I have time to clean aviaries and pigeon lofts ect. and pack for conference. So we can leave whatever time suits you, as long as it's not too early.