60cm Journal

fordayzbro

UPDATE

Something's not right......... :-?

After some good growth at the start, a few algae problems, otto's laying eggs, a major hack back and some more algae the plants now just won't grow.... :(

I have high light, pressurized Co2, loads of filtration, good substrate and currently dosing with comprehensive (every 3 days). The lights are on for 8 hours per day and the Co2 is running at 2bps

Could it be comprehensive is just not doing it for me...?

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the latest pic....

DSC_1461.jpg

There has been no real growth for a month now. The glosso took off then got ruined by hair algae so I hacked it back now the glosso and the rest of the plants seem to be stunted... :-?

I've tried everything except for changing the ferts...

Try reducing the light for a little while.

Tank still looks great though.

I've tried reducing and increasing both light and CO2.... :-?

Figured I need to change my ferts so just been on ebay and purchased some goodies...

Hope they do the business

I would try Comprehensive every day, 1ml per 40 L, and increase the amount of food you are feeding the fish (to gently increase the nitrates). I have found that to be successful in most cases. You should see new leaves within a week or so.

If you don't want to use Comprehensive you can just dose NPK separately (I find it much easier to use an all in one like Comprehensive though). The idea behind this is to flood the water column with excess nutrients to prevent nutrient deficiencies from being the limiting factor. The CO2 will prevent algae if the plants are not limited in any way (and as long as you do not have ammonia spikes). This is called the estimative index method coined by Tom Barr. Try Googling 'estimative index' for more info.

Edit: I just looked it up and found this link: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... guide.html

I would try Comprehensive every day, 1ml per 40 L, and increase the amount of food you are feeding the fish (to gently increase the nitrates). I have found that to be successful in most cases. You should see new leaves within a week or so.

If you don't want to use Comprehensive you can just dose NPK separately (I find it much easier to use an all in one like Comprehensive though). The idea behind this is to flood the water column with excess nutrients to prevent nutrient deficiencies from being the limiting factor. The CO2 will prevent algae if the plants are not limited in any way (and as long as you do not have ammonia spikes). This is called the estimative index method coined by Tom Barr. Try Googling 'estimative index' for more info.

Edit: I just looked it up and found this link: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... guide.html

Thanks for your help Jennifer, I have just ordered some ADA ferts online but while I wait for that to arrive I will increase the dose of comprehensive.

If that doesn't work then I'll try the EI method :bow:

Cheers

Near disaster today! :cry::cry::cry:

Got home early from work today to find half my fish belly up or gasping for air.......

Immediately did a 50% water change and now they seem to be making a recovery bar one which sadly did not make it :cry:

Checked my water parameters from the changed water and nothing seems to be wrong...

So I have a theory.... Yesterday my Sodastream finally ran out (P44 that's 2 months) so I decided to dose with excel, I overdosed because I had some bba growing on one of the rocks and I think I reeaaalllly did overdose :roll: Usually I'm really carefully dosing with excel but on this occasion it seems I was a bit sloppy :oops:

Lesson learnt, could've been worse! :roll:

The dollar is good! :D Do you have a link to what you bought to get the sodastream working?

Could have been much worse. What about the ottos?

This is the main part:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/soda-stream-adap ... 4150cb0832

I ordered my reg, lily pipes, check valve all to together to save on shipping. The adaptor is the kick in the #%$#

I love the setup though, saves me heaps of room in the cabinet and to get a refill I just go to the nearest Farmers

The ottos don't look that happy right now... :oops: Hope I haven't ruined their libido!

Oh no, that's no good! :(

Was your C)2 tank still attached after it ran out?

No, I disconneted the bottle last night just in case I would get time today to replace it, lucky I didn't or I may not have got home in time to do a water change!

Got to try and look at the bright side I guess.....

Had a look on ebay and there's some really cool ADA products :bounce:

Yep, that's the place to get it.... I've ordered brightly K & green brightly lights

I don't know if I would shell out for ADA hardware though.... there are plenty of quality aquascaping products on the market now.

:wink:

No Co2 added for 2 days because of the little excel accident has resulted in a major staghorn and fuzz algae outbreak...
The algae most likely was caused by the lack of CO2 which prevented the plants from using up the nutrients. Staghorn is particularly common from CO2 fluctuations. Good to hear the fish are ok though. :)