Drill hole in tank?

snorkelboy

i have done this with a glass hole saw and a cordless drill on slow

used a spray borttle to keep it wet

started at an angle and slowly straightened it up

better with an empty tank to releve pressure on the glass you can't drill toughened glass

need the right size hole for the bulkhead fitting you are going to use

hole saw can be bought on trademe or M10 or the like

he means a diamond bit

Speed is the important thing along with water to cool

Plenty of speed and plenty of water is best

Slow can loosen the diamonds along with heat

Ok if your drilling one or 2 holes but the drill bit wont last long

The slowest speed we drill at (for large holes ) is 1275 RPM

It can be done with a normal wood hole saw run in reverse with grinding paste but its far easier to do it with a specitily glass or tile drill.

These are usually available from M10. Most glass places will cut the hole for you for under $20.

LivingArt's description makes sense if you have seen someone doing it. Basically have the drill on a slight lean so one side makes contact first and then bring the drill bit straight up and down to finish the hole.

The most important part is keep it wet with running water or make a play dough ring around where you want the hole drilled and full it with water.

Practise first on a spare piece of glass and never drill a tank that is already assembled if you can possibly avoid it.

For those that are in the Wellington area, the KMAC meeting this coming Wednesday is on drilling holes in tanks and some basic plumbing. We made tanks last month this month we'll try breaking them by drilling holes!

:D

that is a good club nite topic :hail:

Don't you worry, the four of us are very enthusiastic! Lol, just kidding. Honestly, we have a great group but I would love to see some of the other notable locals join. We haven't had much time to think recently though with all of the conference planning but after a good rest I am sure we will be keen for doing all sorts of fun things! We are even planning on speaking at a local vet clinic that is having a fish info night for their clients. I am sure we will be able to write an article about it for the mag. ;)