May 16, 201016 yr comment_371833 well its my birthday comming up and I was thinking of getting a few baby discus for my display tank. I have done some research and have had/breed tropicals for many a year lol, but just wanted to know how different discus were to keep. And if it is worth getting into lol. Any help from people with experience would be great. Thanks in advance! Report
May 16, 201016 yr comment_371836 Baby discus and display tank don't really go together unfortunately. Baby discus need to be grown out in a bare-bottom tank with daily water changes till they are at least 6cm. Because they need to be fed frequently (and with high-protein food), are sensitive to parasites/disease and also release lots of hormones which stunt their growth (if they are allowed to build up), it is a big no-no to put them into a community/display tank. I think that you should either set up a seperate tank to grow them out in or buy ones at a larger size. Regardless, you are still looking at frequent water changes on your display tank (>1-2 a week) to keep nitrate levels down. There is a lot of good info out there. But just be aware that some sites are a bit outdated. Discus do prefer soft water with a low pH but not as low and many sites state (unless you want to breed them)...this is because a lot of the information was written referring to keeping wild-type discus as opposed to the ones bred in tanks for decades. well its my birthday comming up and I was thinking of getting a few baby discus for my display tank. I have done some research and have had/breed tropicals for many a year lol, but just wanted to know how different discus were to keep. And if it is worth getting into lol. Any help from people with experience would be great. Thanks in advance! Report
May 17, 201016 yr comment_371838 I would have to agree If you get "baby" discus then put them in a bare bottom tank and feed and water change the heck out of them. Once at size you can add to yor display tank when you dont need to feed or water change quite so much. Navarre Report
May 17, 201016 yr comment_371842 Yes as above. Discus are a fish, probably more than any other, where TLC as young will determine their quality and health as Adults. Report
May 17, 201016 yr Author comment_371861 Hmmmm maybe give the babies a miss then lol. Thanks for the comments Report
May 17, 201016 yr comment_371863 I bought a few adults and also 2 babies (3-4cm) and put them in separate tanks. I found that growing out the babies has been really rewarding, especially now they have started getting their colour! But then again, I have their tank right next to a sink so water changes are a breeze. If you have the extra time and spare tank, then it will be a worthy present Report
May 17, 201016 yr comment_371922 Baby Discus do require a lot of work with water changes and feeding, but are great to watch grow and colour up. They are also the cheapest way to get discus. Large discus cost a lot more, especually if purchased from LFS. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.