Whhooopeeee

Lucid

My angels have spawned, i came home from work today and they have spawned.

Trouble is they are in my community tank :evil: The male is currently protecting the eggs and occasionally shimmies up them( I assume this is the fertilisation process)

Will he guard the eggs for long?

I have heard people talk about removing eggs with razor blades, but trouble is they have stuck the eggs to the silicone in the corner of the tank.

And as luck would have it the filter outlet is at this end of the tank and the flows over the eggs and there is an air stone fairly close aswell.

I have spent most of the evening so far staring at the tank and the male angel and have seen him fanning the eggs occasionally, the gold barbs, and bolivian rams seem pretty interested in the eggs, but he won't let them any where close. The female also is trying to sneak past him to the eggs, is she gonna eat them, or is she trying to get back to lay more?

I have never had angels spawn before and never really expected it to happen in my community tank( will think seriuosly about a tank of thier own now for the angel pair.

All help greatly appreciated.

B :lol:

p.s Sorry for the novel. :oops:

If you are lucky enough for, them not to be eatin, or the male keeps protecting them, then you have a good male. my pair spawn leave the eggs an if i dont see them within the hour they are gone. after the eggs hatch, the male will no longer look after the fry, so you will need to remove them to a maturing tank.

Shae 250

Can you remove any of the other fish? I suggest you leave a light on in the tank too (or a lamp near the egg end of the tank) as they haven't a hope of protecting the eggs in the dark. Both will protect the eggs hopefully. If you can get the parents to look after them it is good. It can be done! Sometimes takes them 6 or 7 dpawns to get the idea though. If this lot get eaten, separate the pair from the other fish and hopefully they will spawn again with more success.

Thanks shae and caryl,

The plan is to see what happens with this lot and then move them to a 2 foot downstairs, once I move the guppy fry so pretty much as you have suggested.

the prob with the female is the male keeps shooing her away so she can't get near the eggs.

Unfortunatly I can't remove any fish at this stage, so hopefully, this is lesson one and the rest will fllow in the the tank downstairs :)

Also Caryl I see you have a gold and white/silver angel in your tank pics, what sort of angel is this.

It is the same as the ones that have just spawned in my tank.

B

UUMMM, sorry about some of that information given.

BUT the male and female guard and fan the eggs , they will pluck them from the egg shell and spit them onto a leaf or another handy spot.

They are free swimming abou 4 to 6 days later.

The pair, once the babies are free swimming will cruise them around the tank shifting any fish the think would injure the babies.

You should remove the babies when the parents show ANY sign of cleaning prior to laying, or maximum time for leaving should not exceed a month, maybe a little earlier.

I have also noticed the babies nibbling on the flanks of the parents similar to Discus

But I don't think it is a critical thing as it is with discus

Alan 104

I have taken some pics of the parents and even got a couple of the eggs.

Female Angel

th_FemaleAngel1.jpg

Another of the Female

FemaleAngel.jpg

The Male

Maleangel.jpg

The Male Tending The Eggs.

If you look closely you can see the eggs up along the silicone and out on the glass in the corner

MaleTendingEggs.jpg

The Eggs

th_Eggs1.jpg

I surprised myself with the clarity of the eggs in the last picture

A couple of the pics are smaller than intended but they can all be viewed at the photobucket account linked to below in signature.

B

that great :hail: they have breed once they will do it again , say one week maybe two.

the eggs look great!!! if they go white they are dead so all of yours look good

enjoy you will find its hard to do but after a few time most people get it right!!

Great stuff Ballistic... Hope you have the Brineshrimp organised :)

Don't be "too" shocked if they disappear from there, as the parents might move them several times.

They will be a while consuming the egg sac... so don't feed until you see them all "actually" free swimming.

There in lies a problem Pegasus, not expecting them to spawn in a community tank and not intentionally "getting the conditions right"

I do not have any brineshrimp at all, and see no way of obtaining any anytime soon, so will have to be tiny amounts of egg yolk and mushy peas :D

unless anyone can suggest something different.

When you say the parents might move them several times, is that the fry or the eggs Pegasus?

B

Thats great billaney, but at leasat you have the fry, I have to wait and see how many hatch and then how many survive.

Came home today and both parents were alternating turns at fending off tank mates and fanning the eggs. which hopefully is a good sign.

Questions.

There are a couple of white eggs and the parents haven't removed them and now there are a couple more, should I leave them alone and let the parents do it?

Also should I turn the filter off in the tank to give the wrigglers a chance to hide and not be blown around the tank as the eggs are in a direct current from the filter, or will the parents actually herd them into a space.

When I move them to another tank after this lot of eggs, is there anything special I should do?

Thanks heaps in advnce

Ballistic.

i always remove my white eggs (my parents are young parents) as if the parents don't they will get a fungus and it will wipe the whole batch out, i wouldn't bother moving the filter as it is only the outlet and the flow is good for them unless it is a really really strong current

good luck

daniel

Ballistic asked:

Questions.

There are a couple of white eggs and the parents haven't removed them and now there are a couple more, should I leave them alone and let the parents do it?
As this is their first spawning I would just leave them to it and see how they go. Good parents do all the cleaning up that is needed, but as Dan said, young parents might just get the odd bit wrong for the first few tries.

Also should I turn the filter off in the tank to give the wrigglers a chance to hide and not be blown around the tank as the eggs are in a direct current from the filter, or will the parents actually herd them into a space.
I would definitely cover any suction hoses with either a sponge or very fine mesh, as once they are free swimming they are bound to get sucked into the filter.

I just use sponge filters (100X100mm sq) in my breeding tanks.

When I move them to another tank after this lot of eggs, is there anything special I should do?
Just make sure their bellies are always full :)

Liquify for egglayers is a good substitute if you have nothing else.

The eggs have been eaten :( I guess gaurding them got to much.

Never mind, Tommorow I clean out the 3 foot downstairs and move them into the honeymoon suite :D

Is there anything special like doing a water change in the tank they are in and putting that water into the tank downstairs that they are moving to.

the tank downstairs has cycled already and has had guppies in it for quite a while. Will they be alright going straight in( with suitable temperature equalisation of course0 or should I put some of the water in with them.

B

I have also put in the tank with them a piece of glass angled and resting on the back wall of the tank with the bottom dug into the gravel.

I did a 3rd water change when putting them in and the water I topped up with came from my main tank.

Currently feeding with flakes and white worms, except they don't seem to impressed with the white worms.

Is there anything else I can do to make things better( more comfortable ) for them.

B