Questions about pressurised CO² setups

breakaway

Hey,

Just wondering if it's worth investing in a 'high quality' brand like JBJ or similar. I had a quick look on eBay and I can source the regulator + solenoid valve for about $120 NZ incl shipping. But only its one of those "chinese brands" (Link 1) (Link 2)

So I'm basically wondering - is it okay to get this chinese quality stuff for my aquarium? With filters and heaters I don't take this sort of risk as they have the potential to kill fish, but CO2 not so much, right?

If I was to import the above, all I'd have to do is get a bubble counter and a diffuser (both relatively inexpensive), and I'd be in business - is this correct?

Also - if I order the regulator from overseas, is it going to fit a NZ bottle? If not, will I be able to buy adapters to make it fit?

To fit my reg to a sodastream bottle I had to order an adaptor, but I don't think sodastream is a standard fitting anyway. What type of bottle are you using?

How long does the sodastream last for? The main reason I'm staying away from soda stream is because it holds only 500mL of CO² vs the 5kg or so that the other bottles have.

Won't it run out in a month or so? And you have to pay $12 to re-fill / replace it at the supermarket? Whereas a bigger bottle wouldn't need refills for close to a year on my 200L tank.

How long does the sodastream last for? The main reason I'm staying away from soda stream is because it holds only 500mL of CO² vs the 5kg or so that the other bottles have.

Won't it run out in a month or so? And you have to pay $12 to re-fill / replace it at the supermarket? Whereas a bigger bottle wouldn't need refills for close to a year on my 200L tank.

I haven't set mine up yet, still waiting for the adaptor to arrive. If you can find a good supplier to fill your Co2 bottle go for the big one. I'm stuck with the sodastream for now but if it becomes a hassle refilling all the time I'll look for a bigger bottle.

Also, not sure if it makes a difference but I know the Co2 in a sodastream is food grade Co2 so is cleaner than say Co2 used in a FE. I may be wrong on this though.....

I remember someone that used a sodastream saying theirs ran out every week or two.

Yeah. Usually when you buy a bottle they come unfilled anyway.

The hardest part setting up Co2 for me has been deciding on the bottle and refills and finding clear hosing suitable for the pressures. :-?

There is a company called Airliquide who might be able to fill your 10kg.

how can you get high grade CO2? :-? and anything in large concentrations is harmful, 30ppm of CO2 is an alright level for most fish though

I could be wrong but I was led to beleive there is different grades to Co2 purity. I'm not sure if it makes any difference in an aquarium though :-?

What is the diameter of the connector on the bottle end of the bottles that you get in NZ? I asked the guy who sells the regulator on eBay and he says the regulator end is 2cm. How big are the connectors on our bottles? It's not a standardised thing is it? That would be far too logical :roll: .