Power head brief question

Zdoda

Looking at setting up a decent amount of current in my tank 550L, i have seen on TM a few that do 3000 too 5000 L/H, any recommendations would greatly be appreciated?

Also would a wave maker do the same thing, i know it oscillates but is it possible to have it mid way to NOT produce waves on the surface? :D

Looking at setting up a decent amount of current in my tank 550L, i have seen on TM a few that do 3000 too 5000 L/H, any recommendations would greatly be appreciated?

Also would a wave maker do the same thing, i know it oscillates but is it possible to have it mid way to NOT produce waves on the surface? :D

As long as the current isn't hitting the surface it won't create waves on the surface. But...Why would you not want to create waves on the surface?

Also, I don't think a wavemaker is really necessary compared to just a simple powerhead. Most FW fish come from rivers where they have continuous currents, not varying.

As long as the current isn't hitting the surface it won't create waves on the surface. But...Why would you not want to create waves on the surface?

Also, I don't think a wavemaker is really necessary compared to just a simple powerhead. Most FW fish come from rivers where they have continuous currents, not varying.

No real reason tbh weird i know :D only reason i was looking at wavemakers is that there is a seller that is selling them cheap, i went to a pet store and yeah can't justify the prices of there powerheads, was $150 only one that they stock....

i did look at the cheap filters, but i don't think they will be able to produce a decent amount of current...

id get a cheap wavemaker off ebay just a plug in and go one its basically a powerhead that moves a large amount of water (although at a slower velocity than a powerhead). they only really make waves as such when used with a controller that pulses them

id get a cheap wavemaker off ebay just a plug in and go one its basically a powerhead that moves a large amount of water (although at a slower velocity than a powerhead). they only really make waves as such when used with a controller that pulses them

Cool thanks will check out ebay too :)

No real reason tbh weird i know :D only reason i was looking at wavemakers is that there is a seller that is selling them cheap, i went to a pet store and yeah can't justify the prices of there powerheads, was $150 only one that they stock....

i did look at the cheap filters, but i don't think they will be able to produce a decent amount of current...

No, don't get a filter, get a powerhead. Petplanet.co.nz has Seios for a good price and my couple have been pretty good. A pair of M1100s would be $120 and give you a total of 8800 lph.

Beware that you really get what you pay for with power heads, the cheap one's tend to be unreliable, noisy, very large, and inefficient, parts are also often a problem to get. Also a lot of them have metal shafts which are no good if you are using it in salt water.

Are you wanting to do a fast-flow tank for river fish or something like that?

For native fast-water fish I recommend this:

Tank volume in litres x 30 (or more) = the MINIMUM litres per hour you want your pumps to do.

For a large tank I would suggest having this spread across several pumps to spread the water current better.

My old riffle tank was 220 litres and I have two 3500 pumps (total of 7000lph). It was fabulous! I am sure the fish could have coped with more.