Cross Breeding

pcamore

Hi all.

I have a 200 litre tropical tank with cherry barbs, Platys, Bristlenoses, Tiger Barbs, Zebra Danios, one big brown Female algae eater and 1 large adult female white Molly.

this afternoon my daughter and i watched amazed as the molly gave birth to about 12 fry !!

how can this be there is no male molly, so i wondered about cross breeding.

Have any of you heard of mollys cross breeding with any of the above fish ?

i know its not gonna be the bristlenose.

but was wondering about survival rates, and whether live bearers can cross breed with egg layers.

what should i feed the fry ? at present they are dark coloured and some white

Thanks

Even though you only have the one female they are most likely mollys. Livebearers can store sperm from males and so will often give birth for quite some time after being separated from a male. Just feed them crushed up flake as they will be big enough for that.

Even though you only have the one female they are most likely mollys. Livebearers can store sperm from males and so will often give birth for quite some time after being separated from a male. Just feed them crushed up flake as they will be big enough for that.

That is something i didnt know, isnt the animal kingdom forever amazing us humans !

Guppies and mollies have been known to crossbreed as they are both Poecilia sp but platys and mollies do not. Female livebearers can produce fry, without a male, for over 8 months or more.

Now that they have been separated for one day the white is starting to show so im thinking you must be right and they are just white mollys.

although its very strange that they can reproduce without a male, i wonder if thats a species survival thing for in the wild, cause that would almost ensure that they would never become extinct.

thanks for all the replies you guys have been really helpful.