What is Laminated Glass and is it safe??

cichlid7

I am sure someone with more experience than me will chime in on this but doesn't laminated glass just 'blow' apart when it breaks (making a big mess when filled with water) compared to non-laminated glass which often just cracks and leaks in a big way?

Laminated glass is 2 pieces "glued" together with plastic as was mentioned earlier

Normally the make up is 3mm/.38mm/3mm making a total thickness of 6.38mm

Its strenght is the same as 3mm and will break a lot easier than 5mm

I would not use it at all as it is not a load bearing glass

If you decide to ignore my advise and use it, it must be glued with non acidic silicone (neutral)

The old windscreens on cars were toughened and stone could break them but not too often, nowdays cars get stone damage often and need to be repaired. This repair dose nothing more than hide the problem. The point of this rave is that there is a lot more damage than in the past as the screen is simply normal glass joined with more normal glass.

BTW, the reason laminated is used for screens now days is the strenght of the roof is boosed by laminated which will hold together a little longer in a roll over giving greater chance of the passangers surviving. NEVER TRY TO REPAIR A WINDSCREEN YOURSELF

ask away if you need more info

I am sure someone with more experience than me will chime in on this but doesn't laminated glass just 'blow' apart when it breaks (making a big mess when filled with water) compared to non-laminated glass which often just cracks and leaks in a big way?

No, that's tempered glass. Which is stronger and harder than non tempered but shatters into small harmless pieces rather than giant, sharp dismembering blades.