Leucistic frog on TM

reptilez

A question. If the genetics are simple and leucistic is a dominant gene, why are they rarer than albino with a recessive gene? They don't look as good as albino and they sold for less than they are asking at the moment (and that is below the reserve). Wait and see. The market will determine what it is worth.

their colour makes them easy targets in the wild. its not that they are genetically weak, its just their choice of colour sucks haha. they are born with a massive bulls eye painted on them.

that's why its practically impossible to find an albino python for eg. in the wild; yet many are available as pets and in zoos.

Correct Phoenix, the colour is bad news for a frog that normally has awesome camouflage. They maybe more prone to getting sunburnt and so on but in general theyre very hardy i find. Or atleast my albinos are.

I cant find anything to back up leucism is caused by a dominant gene. Not alot to back up its even just a gene that causes it. One article ive read claims that some animals born leucistic outgrow the condition as they mature.

Heres the link to the article http://zoology.suite101.com/article.cfm ... te_animals.

My guess is that it is a recessive gene just like the albinos. But maybe not as Alan has said, if its genetics were simple then one would expect more to be around..

I would love to breed them to try and get a better understanding.