Need a crash course in Axy care please

Tsarmina

we are getting an Axy tomorrow from a friend, who's son has moved out and left the axy behind. she doesn't want it, and asked if we could take it (and we said yes :roll: )

apparently it won't eat the axy food from the pet shop, so need some alternatives to feed it.

whats the best tank set up, inside / outside, etc

TIA :bow:

ok lets see..

they need cold water... very cold, like natives, and clean water..

pebbles are no good, sand is preferable.

they are natural hunters so food that wiggles or is made to wiggle should be eaten.

if they dont eat it, starve them till they learn.

beef heart is happily eaten but that axolotyl food is pretty good.

tank should be 4ft? long at minimum cause they do grow large. ive seen people selling small axy's to people with 50L tanks and have actually interrupted the sale and snapped at them :lol:

They grow very slowly though.

Unless mine got stunted... =[

(was years ago)

I fed mine bloodworms. Loved them. I believe i was told to only feed them every 2 days or something.

But I'm sure they would love worms etc. Anything meaty. I guess mince would work too?

ox heart and earthworms are good food same with cat biscuits if you can get them to sink or dont mind hand feeding them 4ft would be good for fully grown ones but i wouldnt worry too much if you dont have anything that large at the moment.

water cold like p44 said less than 17deg is best sometimes they dont like sand as they can slip around on it i used larger stones so they couldnt swallow them and they were easy to clean as they can be messy eaters which comes to my other point regular waterchanges are essential and maybe some decorations or carefully arranged rocks for a bit of cover they dont like bright light so if you are using lighting make sure its dim or cover half the tube to reduce the light output