Brown Algae

Janet

Yes, brown algae is quite normal. It's very common in new tanks. Lighting time won't effect it much. However, the longer you leave the lights on, the faster it will burn out (14 hours is a good limit though). Eventually through cleaning and waterchanges it will go away. 6-10 weeks is usual before it suddenly dissapears...

Thanks for all the help I have been cleaning it off the glass & filter & heater the fish I have seem to be eating some of it I have 2 Gouramis, 10 neons, 10 glowlights, 4 corys, 4 golden barbs. The tank is 4' so there is plenty of room for them. Would getting some more plants help I only have 11 plants in the tank. It still looks a bit bare in places. I have some photos how do I put them up for you all to see. I am not very computer savy.

Plants really only help with algae if they are growing well. Even then it may not help since the conditions for good plant growth are the same as for good algae growth (the idea is that the plants can outcompete the algae for nutrients, but that depends on the exact nutrient balance).

On the other hand, plants are good for the fish to hide in, help with filtration and look good. So you should definitely get some more.

Plants really only help with algae if they are growing well. Even then it may not help since the conditions for good plant growth are the same as for good algae growth (the idea is that the plants can outcompete the algae for nutrients, but that depends on the exact nutrient balance).

This isn't exactly true. The plants out-compete the algae because they need smaller concentrations of the micro-nutrients the algae need. If the correct balance is present then the conditions for growing plants are not the same as for growing algae... In most cases there is too much of one or two trace elements - causing excess algae.

• 1 month later...
Shae: Otos will, Can't say what else, the Otos eat it all.

Warren: Where do you get your info ? I need enlightenment. I remember you pointing to the Sears-Conlin article. Do you have any other reading recommendations ?

Hi Spooky,

The best info I've found is the Sears-Conlin report. The principals in the report are spot-on. If you can find a book called the Optimum Aquarium this is probably the next best book about water in general. It's by the Dupla guys but is currently out of print... It doesn't tell you directly how to grow plants but it lists the water conditions where plants grow from all round the world. It's amazing to find that everywhere plants grow has just about identical conditions.

If you go to 'The Krib' and read the article replies about the Sears-Conlin report there is a lot of info there too. There are many replies from some of the best plant keepers in the world.

Another good source is the Nature Aquarium World series of books by Takashi Amano. Most of his books are to inspire you only, but book one has some info on how to setup for planted tanks. Aquarium Plant Paradise is also another reasonable book.

The Aquarium Plants Manual by Ines Scheurmann, Dennis W. Stevenson is also an excellent source of information. I recently lost this book but will buy it again soon. It has a good section telling you what is wrong with your plants based off their appearance.

Not to forget the FNZAS Plant Survey. There is a small section at the start telling you how to setup for a planted tank...

Good hunting...

If you can find a book called the Optimum Aquarium this is probably the next best book about water in general. It's by the Dupla guys but is currently out of print... It doesn't tell you directly how to grow plants but it lists the water conditions where plants grow from all round the world. It's amazing to find that everywhere plants grow has just about identical conditions

If you can read Dutch you can borrow my copy.

thanks caryl!

looked it up and found this:

My aunt and I have both had the Otocinclus affinis in our tanks. In both our cases, this catfish when larger has attached itself to the bodies of its tankmates. That in turn killed them. I don't know if this is a normal trait for these fish or not...

thye also dont eat red algae and blue-green algae apparently.

Want one, never seen them anywhere though, although slightly concerned about the above quote!

plecs

Warren: Thanks. I had already found most of it, so I'm glad I'm not missing too much.

Plecs: Around here Otos aren't always available, but even when they are they tend to be unobtrusive and hard to notice. Especially when kept in a tank full of mollies as they tend to be at the LFS.