Blue Tongue Set Up log

firefish

About a month ago I decided to get a blue tongue lizard. I've been gradually setting things up and its almost ready to have a BT in :D

The tank is 6 feet x 2 feet x1 foot (high)

Full view

BTsetup002.jpg

I chose gutterung for hides (theres one at each end) I'll get more leaf litter to cover it better

BTsetup003.jpg

My dad made the lid. On one side it slides across

BTsetup004.jpg

BTsetup005.jpg

There will be glass covering up the 2 holes.

Once I get the glass I can get my lizard!

One Question, I've read that they like meats like beef and chicken, but just to be clear do I cook it for them? (i think they'd like raw best, but thought i'd better check first)

Tbh i mainly just use cat food pouches for the meat/staple. Whiskas caserole with vege. Also mix my own salad in with the cat food atleast once a week (nasturtium leaves, mustard, dandelion leaves, clover and flowers from them all every now and then) and dead insects. The skinks will eat live but not always.

I use to give them a bit of raw ox heart but havent done that for some time.

They like bannana to, but probably best as a treat.

Dust food with calcium a couple of times a week. multivitamin every other week.

Skinks are scavengers they will eat all sorts if it smells good (to them) :)

I'm a bit weary of feeding cat food to a lizard. I'd prefer to feed food that I know whats in it instead of a food thats designed for a comletly different animal.

If my avoiding feeding cat food means she doesn't get much to eat I've got 2 cats so plenty of cat food here as a back up.

I know what you mean. But hard to replicate their natural diet in a captive environment. Cats eat similar things to bts.

Live food is best but expensive and not really needed for these imo. I had 14 young skinks last year that i raised mainly on crickets and roaches. They were unbeleavbly fast. Id never seen bts move so fast :o:) and they thrived on them. But as they got older they became less interested. Maybe i gave them too much cat food and they just became lazy i dunno.

My female skink i had was eating live food like a nutter over summer, up until she gave birth. Then seemed to loose interest in them. Maybe i just gave her too much other food when trying to fatten her up again.

Like i said though they are scavengers, so i guess they feed on all sorts. Skinks, lizards, rats & mice, birds, snails and a large part of the diet is carrion/dead animals in the wild. Catfood replaces the carrion. Theyre not like beardies whom pretty much need live food.

Cant go wrong with live food. But with all that leaf litter i wouldnt go there with crickets, they will just hide. Could hand feed them i guess. Locusts maybe ok but theyre very jumpy, cant say i tried them with bts.

I dunno im no expert i just did what works...

Just thought i'd report on how Sky's first day went. She's been eating some food. likes mushroom, tomato, FD crisckets and mealworms and chicken. And maybe other stuff I haven't seen her eat.

I let my birds out for their daily fly around my room. The birds love perching in front of the fish tanks (sometimes watching the fish) and Sky's tank too. Jade was tapping her beak on the glass a bit at Sky. Sky ran forward at Amber and kept opening her mouth. It was fascinating to watch all their behaviours. When they flew Sky looked confused :lol: