Oxygen for sending fish, worth it or not?

I have yet to receive or send any fish with oxygen and haven't had any massive losses.. It would be a little bit extra insurance in case the fish gets held up or anything like that kinda like the 40 hour heatpads.. But my guess would be if it came down to a waiting game the fish would die of ammonia poisoning before it used up all the oxygen even in the plain old air we have.

I used to use it (many years ago) and figured that it helped, if only to prevent deaths from ammonia suffocation if things got too toxic. I had access to a tank of free oxygen so it wasn't like I went out of my way though. :roll:

If you use an oxygen cylinder you are putting in 100% oxygen.

If you use an airline from an airpump (I have seen this done more than once) you are putting in 20% oxygen. The air that we breathe in has 20% oxygen give or take a bit.

If you blow into the bag as I do you are putting in 19% oxygen.

I go by the 1/3 - 1/2 water in the bag and the balance exhaled breath and haven't had any problems.

Welders use pure oxygen. You are more likely imo to lose a fish from ammonia build up. Best not to feed 24hrs before hand and water change the tank the day before as well.

interesting, i always assumed there would be less oxygen than that coming out of us.

all good info cheers all :hail:

Nope, the air you exhale is only fractionally different from the air you inhale. People's bodies aren't actually that highly effective at absorbing what it intakes. Same with food...The majority of what goes in comes back out, it's just a bid reorganised...