Blackmore Goldfish Dying?

mark1078

I have had my very nice looking blackmore fish over a week, it houses in a aquarium with 40ltr. The last couple of days he has been sitting on the bottom in the corner of the tank. Today he is lying on his side floating on the top of the tank. He occasionally feels like swimming bu mainly floats now in the corner and is also on his belly!!.. I feel its gonna die.

Need some help please..

do a 50% water change first off . is the fish bloated at all?

Thanks for your reply. I already did a 50% water change, and yes the fish appears bloated to me. It tries to swim down but keeps floating to the surface, it's currently up the top of the tank in a corner sitting still and half tilted - sometimes goes onto his belly, then manages to turn himself around and start swimming.

Might be swim bladder problems. Try feeding cooked shelled peas and don't feed anything else for a couple of days. Then switch to a sinking pellet food (rather than floating food which will cause the fish to suck air). Keep clean water as that can play a part. If that doesn't help, there may be other causes for the swim bladder problem - if that is the problem.

Might be swim bladder problems. Try feeding cooked shelled peas and don't feed anything else for a couple of days. Then switch to a sinking pellet food (rather than floating food which will cause the fish to suck air). Keep clean water as that can play a part. If that doesn't help, there may be other causes for the swim bladder problem - if that is the problem.

Yeah, I wondered if it was that. Thanks, much appreciated.

What were you feeding him and what was he being fed before you got him? Black moors are one of the short bodied goldfish and very prone to digestive disorders and swim bladder problems. If it is his digestion, the peas ought to clear him out.

Some of the cheaper brands of fish pellets swell a lot when water is added. If you give them to these fish they eat them fine but they swell up once in the digestive canal causing problems until they are expelled at the other end.

Hey thanks so much for your reply, the fish get "Nutrafin Max" which I got from the pet shop, these are just dry flakes.

Am looking at the fish at the moment and now that the light is off he is actually swimming. I will give him boiled peas in the morning and see if this clears it up in the next couple of days.

How long should I keep feeding him these peas... and do you recommend other food I can give the fish? I only have goldfish. I do not know what he got fed before I got him as it was a fish from the pet store.

The flakes ought to be fine but if you had been feeding pellets, I wanted to note that some swell more when wet than others. Flakes should be good unless he gulps a lot of air when eating (as goldfish are also prone to do).

A couple of peas will be fine (popped out of their skin) and you should see results within a day or two. Don't feed any other foods in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend has a similar issue with the same type of fish, he was in a pond, and has done the peas etc, but still not right, has been on his side for over a week, and sounds almost constipated. He was feeling pellets. Is there anything else he can try.