Red Worms in substrate

purplecatfish

I've found some red worms in the substrate that I've removed from one of my tanks, and I was wondering if anyone can help identify them.

They're able to change their length from under a centimetre to a couple of centimetres by going very thin. They are kind of leech-like and when they move you can see pulses of thickened body moving along their length. I've got some in a bowl so I'll try to get some photos up in the next couple of days.

if they move like a slug (stuck to the glass) then likely planaria. although 2cms seems a bit long.

if they swim away then theyre blackworms. often seen sticking up out of substrates (skinny, look like small earth worms or tubifex etc)

probably just a result of over feeding, wouldnt worry to much.

I agree with above it sounds like tubifex or blackworm. Didn’t know the ID trick though.

From your description not planaria because wrong colour and too big and not Bloodworm because to skinny and different movement.

If you have Cory’s, loaches or any small cichlids then they should clear them up.

I don't think they're planaria as there are a few white ones on the glass at night now that the substrate has been changed. And I've never seen them swimming or sticking out of the substrate. In fact I wasn't even aware of their existance until I pulled out the plants and found them in the substrate amongst the roots. Then I kept finding the odd one when I removed the stones etc.

I always imagined that tubifex were more like an earthworm than a flatworm/leech as I've only ever seen them freeze dried (and grey).