LOST COCKATIEL - please keep an eye out for her in Manukau

BikBok

I am putting this add everywhere I can think of as we are so desperate to get our Sunny back home safe.

LOST COCKATIEL - “SUNNY” –

Yellow Lutino Cockatiel

She is yellow with orange cheeks

April 4, 2010

Lost WATTLE DOWNS - MANUREWA but is a strong flier so could be anywhere.

Our precious cockatiel accidentally fell out of a slightly open window and circled the house a few times before she flew away.

She won’t know how to fend for herself and we are all devastated.

She is tame and may land on your head or shoulder.

Please if you sight her or find her contact us asap.

PH: 021 396889

BikBok-sunny08small-2np.jpg

BikBok-sunny2andahalfsmall-pzb.jpg

BikBok-1year2monthssmall-28z.jpg

She is my daughters bird and today we were going to get another tiel friend for sunny. it is also my birthday but now I just feel sick with worry.

Here's what happened: my daughter let Sunny out and for some reason she did not draw the curtain this morning, I guess she was excited with Easter and my birthday and thinking about the new tiel we were getting this afternoon.

Sunny banged into the window and slid down into a very slightly open window , fell outside and then flew straight up.

She circled the house a few times calling to us and we were calling her and then she disappeared. The kids are still wandering the neighbourhood looking for her.

We are so upset and can't believe after all this time it happens today.

We've had her for three years and leave her unclipped so she can free flight and get good exercise, i don't want to debate about the risks of unclipped birds please ... we know.

Jaimee is in tears and I'm pretty emotional too.

We won't ever let it happen again as we've been so careful and this is just a sad lapse in vigilance.

Having just lost our conure (it was killed, not just missing) we know what you are feeling. Good luck with the search :(

oh that's sad Caryl.

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Hopefully she will come down to a kind human when she's hungry. Tonight will be hard for us.

Sorry to hear about Sunny. It can happen so quickly. Have you advertised on the NZ pets lost and found site http://www.petsonthenet.co.nz it would be worth a try, also TM. Hope you find her soon.

yes it did happen quickly, we are in shock! have advertised on petsonthenet as well as TM. Will be ringing around the vets tomorrow.

Sorry to hear this BikBok, I'll keep and extra eye out for her. It's a long way to my area but you never know. Good luck.

thanks Sam.. it is very possible she could be in your area, not that far for her really. Tiels are very good fliers and sunny is a particularly strong flier. Even when she was fully clipped she could still fly , just not coordinate her landings very well. That was part of the reason we decided to let her grow back her flight feathers so she wouldn't keep damaging her tail and would get some good exercise. But we were very surprised to see how quickly she disappeared on the horizon.. she was circling at first and calling out to us and then I think a seagull spooked her and she was gone.

damn, that really sucks. he is really pretty. sometimes birds come back to where they know so leave his cage outdoors with food and water, and he may surprise you.

I hope you get him back.

Sunny is a pretty girl, one of the nicest cockatiels I've seen and certainly the sweetest we've owned. We already have the new Cockatiel that was to be Sunnys friend , picked her up this afternoon . We had Sunnys cage out this afternoon and will put the new bird outside tomorrow becuase they might hear each other and call, even though they don't know each other.

The new girl is a pied pearl with a lot of yellow. Quite pretty as well.

We've been trying to stay positive for the kids, even my 15 yr old son was up on the roof with binoculars and calling out to her and trying to find her.

Please please ring your local bird rescue! http://www.birdrescue.org.nz/contact-us.html

My Alexandrine parrot boy went for a bit of an adventure, and I made sure I gave the local bird rescue my details. Eight hours later I got a call to say a family down the road had found him. If people find a friendly bird, generally the first place they will call is the SPCA, who in turn will put them on to Bird Rescue.

I hope you get your lovely birdie back!

Thanks moya

that's great you got your Alexandrine back so soon.

I have just emailed the birdrescue with photographs and will ring later to see if they got it.

Last night it rained heavily and temperatures are dropping. I didn't sleep very well thinking about it but our best hope is that someone has found her and is caring for her and will try and find her owners.

Last night it rained heavily and temperatures are dropping.

I kept zebra finches outdoors for years, feathers are very useful at keeping them warm. If someone doesn't already have her, she'll probably be up in a tree keeping warm.

Call every animal shelter in the area. Even if you think it may be too far away, call anyways.

My budgie flew away last year and ended up 9km away within a few hours!

Luckily some lovely people found him, brought him in, and called their local shelter to report a found bird.

Goodluck!

• 1 month later...

Fingers crossed.. we are going to look at a bird tomorrow that sounds like it could be Sunny. I know it's a VERY long shot after almost 5 weeks but we can't not check it out. The finders described her and she has also lost a lot of weight so it could very well be her.

My heart is beating faster thinking about the possibility.

Fingers crossed.. we are going to look at a bird tomorrow that sounds like it could be Sunny. I know it's a VERY long shot after almost 5 weeks but we can't not check it out. The finders described her and she has also lost a lot of weight so it could very well be her.

My heart is beating faster thinking about the possibility.

good luck - hope its the right bird :)

***UPDATE*** FOUND ***

after 5 long hard weeks we have our Sunny back! an absolute miricle and answer to prayer. Thanks so much to the kind people who found her and advertsied her. We are so grateful. Sunny is tired and hungry but happy to be back home with her people.

we know it's Sunny - She is the right size, colouring, personality and smell with a faint hairline crack in her beak as sunny had. I took my photo album so we could compare but the bird responded instantly to my hubby (her favourite) and bobbed down for him with her little cluck sound. I did have a look on petsonthenet, trademe etc to see if anyone else had lost a lutino in the last couple of weeks but there weren't any listings, she has to be our Sunny! we're sure of it. (short of DNA tetsing to be 100%! - do they do that on feathers? we have some of sunnys moulted feathers) )

It's just amazing. I think she must have been with someone for most of the time and has got free again because she is in surprisingly good condition and has lost just a little weight.

The people who found her had heard her outside in the morning and came out to have a look and she flew down to their head. They had an empty small aviary that they put her in, (they've had cockatiels and lorikeets previously) They commented on her flying ability - which we already knew about- she is such a strong and agile flyer.

The lady was getting attached to her already but are pleased we were able to reunite

I wonder where she's been all this time and what her journey entailed. She would have flown right across the water from our penisula (with winds maybe) till she reached land again, we figured about 20km across the water. And then maybe another 10km to where they were.