Jewel anenome pics

livingart

yes there are a lot more people turning to local tanks

amazing what you find in your backyard

Jewel Anemone

(Corynactis haddoni)

The jewel anemone is named for its brilliant range of colouration, Individuals may be bright orange, red, green, pink or white and the tentacles are usually contrasting colours. The body of this anemone is smooth, and squat. The mouth is in the centre of three rings of up to 100 tentacles each ending in a small bulb; this anemone grows up to 2cm in size.

Jewel anenomes live in shaded spots on exposed coasts where they are usually found underneath rocky overhangs or on vertical surfaces. They extend their tentacles and feed on drifting food particles such as planktons etc. Like other anemones, the jewel anemone can reproduce asexually by splitting, which leads to clusters of identically coloured clones, these clones joined to a common sheet-like base can often join each other forming patchwork quilts of many colours.

• 2 years later...
feed BBS and coral food

excuse my naivety but whats BBS?

and are all these corals found in nz waters? i didnt know there where such bright colours around here all ive seen is brown weeds/grasses yellow popping things the little brown guys kids stick their fingers in and green kinda dense wavy groth (kinda round strands?)

i think i might have to start a thread asking what cant be put in a native salt water tank im thinking about starting one with all these amazing pics around!

excuse my naivety but whats BBS?

and are all these corals found in nz waters? i didnt know there where such bright colours around here all ive seen is brown weeds/grasses yellow popping things the little brown guys kids stick their fingers in and green kinda dense wavy groth (kinda round strands?)

i think i might have to start a thread asking what cant be put in a native salt water tank im thinking about starting one with all these amazing pics around!

baby brine shrimp

they are all found in nz, i got some at the local marina on wednesday

they tend to hide around areas of brown gunky algae, but if you find them they make big carpeting areas.

the area MF4L and I found ours has heaps of different colours in a small area.

mine are doing well (had a new one split off yesterday and another small one looks like it will divide soon) on a diet of crushed flake food (don't ask but my gobies go mental on it) minced tuatua and crushed pond snails (from my breeding tank, another fav of the gobies)

at least once a week i direct feed them but most of the time I let them take what they catch.

they tend to hide around areas of brown gunky algae, but if you find them they make big carpeting areas.

the area MF4L and I found ours has heaps of different colours in a small area.

mine are doing well (had a new one split off yesterday and another small one looks like it will divide soon) on a diet of crushed flake food (don't ask but my gobies go mental on it) minced tuatua and crushed pond snails (from my breeding tank, another fav of the gobies)

at least once a week i direct feed them but most of the time I let them take what they catch.

i feed mine brine, frozen krill, shrimp pellets (fw ones)

is there any chance of finding them in shallow waters? eg for me to find without scuba gear? i have snorkle and flipers but im a bit of a wuss when it comes to deap water mostly because of sharks ive swam with them before but im not comfortable about it and would they be able to be found where the water is a little less salty and more muddy? (eg auckland harbour just because its like 5 mins drive from my house) if not i dont mind driving about a hour from the north shore bho i would rather not if i dont have to

they sound really easy to feed years ago i had a native marine tank but i only had starfish some crabs some gobbies some shrimp a little kinna (dont tell anyone (very very cool)tho i released him when i finished the tank) and a little agressive fish that was jet black with a white stripe down his head was quite thin and about 6cm long

i also had a black maumau in a tank but i felt bad about having him in such a small tank so i let him go 2 days after i got him

is there any chance of finding them in shallow waters? eg for me to find without scuba gear? i have snorkle and flipers but im a bit of a wuss when it comes to deap water mostly because of sharks ive swam with them before but im not comfortable about it and would they be able to be found where the water is a little less salty and more muddy? (eg auckland harbour just because its like 5 mins drive from my house) if not i dont mind driving about a hour from the north shore bho i would rather not if i dont have to

they sound really easy to feed years ago i had a native marine tank but i only had starfish some crabs some gobbies some shrimp a little kinna (dont tell anyone (very very cool)tho i released him when i finished the tank) and a little agressive fish that was jet black with a white stripe down his head was quite thin and about 6cm long

i also had a black maumau in a tank but i felt bad about having him in such a small tank so i let him go 2 days after i got him

when ive been snorkeling they are at less than a metre, like fishguy said, edge of the marina

sweet ill do it tho will have to try to sneek another tank into the house lol ill have to set up in the garage to make sure i have everything then pounce it into the house while the wife is at work then be too lazy to take it down when she gets upset :happy1: then take her to the beach to find shells she loves shell and coral hunting (the dead stuff for the cichlid tank) lol