PBFD detected in native parrots

livingart

Oh no!

That is horrible news. They say it is incurable.... how come people claim to have treated budgies with it?

There isn't really any treatment other than just trying to keep the bird otherwise healthy and hope they manage to fight it off on their own or don't show symptoms. I think it's like a lot of viruses, you can be healthy until some kind of stress weakens your immune system then it hits you. Kinda like herpes if it made you get a horribly deformed face and all your skin fall off...

thought all you bird guys would have known about PBFD

wasn't here until some people smuggled some birds in from aussie a few years ago

and then people moan about our strict bio security

can be passed on by handling or walking around an infected bird then walking into your shop or home

the word is, claim, to have treated budgies

look for birds with overgrown of flaky beaks and toenails and no flight or tail feathers

there was a few expensive birds in auckland sold for cheap a few years back

came out of infected aviaries

Know about and seen birds with PBFD but never thought of the after effects..

if its a virus, then its host specific..

so can it be carried by humans? any effect for human beings?

it is truly sad to see a native species on the brink of extinction, being effected by a disease it would normally never have encountered.

if its a virus, then its host specific..

so can it be carried by humans? any effect for human beings?

Humans aren't carriers but it can survive on your skin and on contaminated surfaces for a while. I vaguely remember hearing that contaminated surfaces can still infect birds for up to 2 years?

Vaccines are a preventative measure. They are basically small doses of selected inactivated bacteria or viruses which cause specific diseases and by introducing them to the body in a small amount they stimulate the production of antibodies. It is these antibodies that act as a special army against that particular pathogen so that if the body is ever exposed again, the army recognises it immediately and is poised and ready to fight it off.

I hope I explained that in a way that makes sense. :roll: