closed loop idea

chimera

as suggested by pies, I was considering doing this:

currently i have 2 drilled outlets (0.75" or 20mm each) and 4 drilled inlets (same size) I was looking at joining ('Y' pipe) the 2 outlets into a single 1.5" (40mm) outlet. Then, hooking this up to a big mutha pump then out to the 4 tank inlets. it could mean i can get a dolphin 4700 aqua sea AMP master pump (15,500 litres/hour) from here...

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=DP2470

This is approx 3,870 l/hr per outlet for US$300. I will look at how feasible this is tonight however wanted to get others thoughts on this? Anything you can think of that will be disadvantageous to doing this? (i can put taps on each outlet to turn it on/off or control flow)

difficulty of getting this pump in 240V, tho transformer could fix

50hz vs 60hz, tho i do not think this is a biggie

one pump dies, no circulation.

just playing devils advocate here, quite like the idea as if you want kill flow during feeding only one pump to turn off....

probably cheaper then streams

dolphin's come in 220V versions so no worries there otherwise i just wouldnt bother. i think i'll stick with two iwaki's, at least if one fails then the others still going.

layton - im getting streams next year in addition to the loops. cant afford it yet though, just gotta wait til the rental property sells :)

cheers guys.

thats certainly not the only factor, its $$$ more than anything. probably getting 2 x (2nd hand) iwaki 30rxt's, failing that i'll do the above.

what i really want is two solidly designed SCWD's with threads built into them!!! stupid fittings on SCWD's i reckon.

Yeah that would be my single big complaint with the SCWD, that the fittings are a bit 'softcore' for my likling.

Well I could well have a 2nd hand IWAKI comming though very soon, infact make an offer and you could have it by the end of the week :) I now have some DELTEC action (thanks Steve!).

Instead of using the SCWDs, have you guys considered using the Oceansmotion Squirts? They are the only OM that have a 240V motor readily available. I am running two Amp Master 3000's on closed loops and desperately waiting on the OM HD 4-way to have the international motors.

Layton 0 First off a really like the concept. They are however quite new, and many people on RC have has problems with them. Also because of the cnetralised water switching they use, they can create a bit of a nightmare of plumbing. On top of that I already had the ehiems and liked the 1:1 plubming for its minimal flow restriction and minimal space consumed.

Then factor in the cost of the unit and it all seems like no gain for a lot of cost and hastle. In retrospect I know I made the right decision. Interesting the reason there is no center brace through my cabinet was because I wanted space to mount the OM.

Pie

Like this? http://www.reefonline.com.au/shop/produ ... cts_id=246

It's Aussie, so I assume the motor is 240volt.

Layton

Yeah Layton, that is exactly it. I think that www.reefonline.co.au is a bit pricy. You can buy them directly from OM for about $390NZ (not including shipping). Well, that’s not exactly true since they aren’t available just yet, but once they are, Paul said that they will be the same price.

That’s interesting Pies that you have heard negative things. I read RC fairly religiously and have only heard people rave about them. I think that your closed loop design with the Eheims is brilliant and will probably do the same on my new system. However, that’s not really comparable to the OM since it is a “wave making†system, and I think it is certainly one of the best available, i.e. benefits of closed loop (no pumps in the tank), next to no additional head for the alternating flow system (SCWDs aren’t even in the same league), etc… The plumbing is certainly a bit more involved, but no where near prohibitive given the benefits involved. When you add the Revolutions to the OM, you not only get the alternative flow concept, but also the benefits of the Sea Swirl concept, which in themselves are at least $225NZ (MarineDepot, not including shipping). So, for slightly more than the price of two Sea Swirls, you could have a comparable OM HD 4-way with the Revolution nozzles.

If you are even considering using the new 1†SCWDs, I think that it is a no brainer to go with the OM Squirt instead since they are about the same price (at least in expectation given the suggested prices for the new SCWDs) and there is no flow restriction with the Squirts like you have with the SCWD. Why pay for those amazing pumps and then turn around and kill it with a SCWD?????

Like I said, I am personally going to go the OM route. I’ve sent quite a few e-mails to them to urge a quicker release of the 240V motors. As soon as they become available for direct order, I’m going to try to get 3-4 people together for a bulk order to share the shipping expenses as well as possibly getting a deal on the per unit price. I will be doing the shipping through my father in the US, so we will be avoiding the GST and customs charges as well. As soon as I hear anything, I will post a notification. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

JoeBlog - The 'revoultion' nozzels spind 360 degrees though, where as the sea swirl have a 90 degree arc. I REALLY like the sea swirls, they are the only thing in the tank that truely creates some randomness to the water flow.

Now I have nothing against the OM, like I said I was within inches of buying one. But 'stealthing' the nozzels is impossible as you want the current to wash accross the reef, not be hidded behind or under it. Also they need maintenance (cleaning) which means you need to be able to access them. You also still need to get water into the tank from the sump, so the Sea Swirl makes perfect sense.

But yes people like them, and I like the concept but ultimatly didn't really apply to my setup as well as what I have. Be carefull, when there is no flow through the nozzels fish like bi-colours can get into the plumbing.

True to compare it to the 1: SCWD. The SCWD is a great device, and works REALLY well on my 3 footer, but I think thats where its best, on small systems, I think it becomes less effective on larger systems (why not just use 2 pumps and timers?). But an SCWD is HEAPS cheaper than the OM and doesn't require any power to run (but does drop the pump efficiently by between 10%-20%.

What would be interesting is how noisey the 220/240 versions will be.

Sea Swirl gets 9.5/10 pies. SCWD gets 6.5/10 pies.

Pie

Hey guys-

I've already heard back from Paul at OM (talk about amazing service, the guy is great). Here's what he had to say.

I have a line on some motors that will work on all voltages known to man, I

anticipate having them in the next couple of weeks, I will then do what I can

to make them adaptable to the 4 way, if I can pull this off then it will be a

real bonus.

Couple of things, regarding the units for the guys that are doing installs, I

can put together 4 ways with drums drive shafts etc that can have the motor

installed later, if this would help in the design feel free to mention it to

them. I have shipped a number of units without motors to customers who can only

afford to do certain things as they can afford to, this way they install the 4

way as a manifold only and motorize it at a later date.

So, it looks like we are in business!! :D

It would definitely pay to have a look at the website if you haven't already.

http://www.oceansmotions.com/

He can do custom input/output sizes, etc..., (I believe this costs a bit extra though), so something to think about before we place an order. So far, James and Layton have expressed interest. My father gets quite irritated with having to drag big boxes to the post office, so I could probably fit two more on this order without pissing him off too bad. If anyone else is interested, please let me know.

I will keep everyone posted with updates as I get them from Paul.

One last note, Paul has expressed concern over the electrical certification for NZ on these new motors. I assume that this is the PITA that he was talking about in the orders that he filled for www.reefonline.com.au. I haven’t heard of this before on all of my international orders. Is there something that I should let him know about this?