HOW TO KEEP AWAKE????

Hi peps just a quick (Q) i have 3 days of 15 hour shifts comming up anyone have any tips how to stay on point and awake cher any help is wellcomed

What kind of work is it?

Make the most of the time between shifts, get good rest, especially if you deal with any dangerous equipment, one little laspe in concertration due to tiredness can be fatal.

I tend to have stages of sleepiness. If I wake at 7am by 9:30pm I'm fine, 10:30pm I'm getting tired, 11:30pm I'm really tired then from 12pm onwards I can't sleep. Beyond tired as I like to call it :lol:

Why would you want to sleep in to 7am? :oops:

Did 3 weeks of contracting in Aussie and did big days for that 6 days a week, I found I was pretty shattered for the first week but got used to it somewhere in the middle. Staying awake at work was ok as there was heaps to keep busy with but as soon as I got back to the hotel it was straight to bed..

I agree with all the others just keep busy and you will be fine, unless it is something really boring and then it might be a struggle.

I would avoid taking too many of those no-doze or energy drinks too early in the peace as you may need them later and you will have to take or drink more and more to actually stay awake.

I was told a trick by an old timer when we were doing long shifts and that is to have a shave during the last smoko break. It freshens you up and makes the last few hours a bit more bearable. Of course, I don't know if you're male or female so it may not be applicable :wink:

when i use to do shift work we were doing 12 hour shifts starting at 4 am, the first week was hard but after that i adjusted to it then it was easy.

Must be nice being on the same shifts for more than a week at a time. My last two weeks was six 12 hour nighshifts(7pm-7am) a day off then six 12 hour dayshifts.

This pay should be nice though...

Must be nice being on the same shifts for more than a week at a time. My last two weeks was six 12 hour nighshifts(7pm-7am) a day off then six 12 hour dayshifts.

This pay should be nice though...

we had 12 hour days for 8 weeks than back to normal 8.5 days for 8 weeks & so on.

I spent five years doing the same shifts as Ira rotational 12 hours from 7 to 7 and one day off a month. And renovated a run down house in my spare time. That was when we got shift allowances, meal allowances penal rates and substantial production bonuses etc. I think my brain has developed a bit more since then and my priorities are different.

Stay busy, try and live healthily and never forget that every hours sleep that you pinch is one you will never catch up on.

na im a security guard again

Do you need to stay awake then? :lol:

For some strange reason, they spend a lot of time teaching us about this sort of thing at work, call it alertness management.

Naps should be no more than 45 minutes, or over two hours. Stay off the fatty foods, and try to maintain regular meal times (No point in having a huge feed at 1am as your body won't digest it properly). Try to sleep for a solid 7-8 hours when not at work but remember that quality is more important than quantity, but you will occur "sleep debt" if you miss out on the normal amount of sleep, and if you rack up too much of that your body will eventually just say "pay up" regardless of what you're doing. 3-5am and pm are both at-risk times for dosing off. And if you're not up to it then admit it to yourself rather than trying to battle on and put people at risk.