What do you feed your fish?

stillnzcookie

I have a question in the Diseases section about some panda cories with fin rot. From the information I have been able to find, one of the contributing factors could be either stale food or not enough variation in the diet. We have panda cories, harlequin rasboras and dwarf neon rainbowfish in a 60L tank, so of course, one container of food lasts forever! Currently we feed JBL Nova Tab and Nova Grano Colour Mini, with Nova Fex 1-2 times a week and TetraMin flakes occasionally. Everything I have read says that most of the nutrient value will be gone after about 6 months. They have all been open for more than 6 months, so it looks like I need to throw them all out and get new food, even though most of them are still pretty full.

So I'm wondering what I should replace them with. Do I need the sinking tablets for the cories, as the Grano Colour has sinking bits anyway? Ironically, the cories eat the Grano colour before the Nova Tab (although they seem to like both), while the rainbowfish go nuts for the tabs, and try to grab them before they sink!

How do I know if there is enough variation in what I'm feeding? Also, are there any human foods (eg veges) that are good to feed - I have read about peas and courgette, but I'm not sure if these should be fed often or not?

So what do you feed your fish, and how often? I'm sure lots of people feed their fish the same food every day, but if there's anything I can do for my fish to make them more healthy, I'm keen to know about it!

I am kind of embarrased about this but I feed a different thing each day. Just about all of my tanks appreciate the variety in a rotating cycle but everyone gets a basic flake or pellet once a week. I only buy small quantities and I only feed a small amount each day.

Fresh:

hatched brine shrimp

whiteworms

mysis shrimp

whiteworms

microworms

mosquito larve

fly larvae

frutifly larvae

insects from the garden :oops:

cucumber

courgette

carrot

pumpkin

peas

Frozen:

mysis shrimp

brine shrimp

bloodworms

mosquito larve

prawns

Dried:

hikari algae wafers & catfish wafers

shrimp pellets

spirulina wafers & flake

colourbits

tropical flake

I am the total opposite. My fish get fed once or twice a week (more if kids visit, wanting to feed the fish). I don't know how old the food is but it is pretty old :oops:

They get flake and bottom feeder pellets. Occasionally I catch mozzie larvae.

*note to self... if come back as a fish, live at Jennifer's place

I feed:

Grindal worms

Microworms

Daphnia

Mozzie larvae

Frozen Bloodworm

TetraMin flake

JBL Novobits

Sera GV something - can't remember and it is too dark to go and have a look...

Sera Cyclops

Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets

JBL Novotabs

Wardley Shrimp Pellets

JBL Novotom for fry, mixed with crushed Sera GV?, decap brine shrimp, spirulina flake

I mix it up a bit, especially for my Hillstream loaches.

Feed them all morning and after 5pm when I get home

* digs out stash of food.

:lol:

tetra cichlid crisps

hikari cichlid gold

hikari arowana pellets

Nutrafin max spirulina

Nutrafin max pleco logs

tetra veggie flake

tetra min tropical tablets

tetra colour bits

nutrafin max spirulina pellets

nutrafin max spirulina meal tablets

tetra min pro

tetra marine flake

tetra cichlid flake

hikari bottom feeder pellets

hikari pleco tablets

Then there is cucumber, courgette, carrots, bloodworms, beef heart and liver tucker, discus tucker, snails, earthworms, fish eggs.... :lol:

I think you may have got more specific results if you asked what you would recommend feeding your fish.

I feed my fish, 6 maybe 7 times a day sometimes more... 7 days a week

I am the total opposite. My fish get fed once or twice a week (more if kids visit, wanting to feed the fish). I don't know how old the food is but it is pretty old :oops:

They get flake and bottom feeder pellets. Occasionally I catch mozzie larvae.

Sounds about right. I feed fry twice or three times a day, other fish once or twice if they're growing. Adults get one feed when ever I remember.

Thanks for the replies!

I think you may have got more specific results if you asked what you would recommend feeding your fish.

True, but I was interested in what other people do, not necessarily just what they recommend. I'm presuming that those of you with great big lists of food also have a large number of fish and/or much bigger fish than I have, so I won't feel obliged to try to follow what you do :wink:

cucumber

courgette

carrot

pumpkin

peas

Are there any other veges that are good to feed? Can you just blanch veges and put them in the tank or is there a specific way of preparing them to make them safe and edible? I have fed peas several times, and I just pour boiling water over a couple of frozen peas, drain and remove the shells and put them in the tank.

I'm presuming that those of you with great big lists of food also have a large number of fish and/or much bigger fish than I have, so I won't feel obliged to try to follow what you do :wink:

I have seventeen freshwater tanks, all under 64 litres :wink:

I don't have big fish anymore. I have one ~200l tank but the others are under 60l. You can feed other veg, like cauliflower or brocolli stems, anything dense. You can blanch it very briefly to make it more edible. I just buy those metal BBQ skewers from the store and tie some string on them so I can hang them easily from outside the tank using a piece of tape (and it is easy to remove it without getting wet). You can add all sorts of veges to those skewers, not peas tho... :roll: Some veges will really soil the water so watch carefully if you are using something new so you can remove it at the first sign of water cloudiness. I don't leave any veges in for longer than 20 hours for that reason (if there is anything left). The cats all seem to like it the veg more the older it gets.

IMO, its water and what goes in the water and how you treat the water that causes most diseases.

food id ont believe can cause diseases.

i feel sinking hikari pellets, floating cheap flowerhorn pellets from thailand, and economy aqua one pellets for my fish. arowana eats shrimp. dats and ck eats massivore and bichirs are given frozen balls of beef herat minced, whcih EVERYONE picks on when it drops to the bottom.

clown loaches love them.

i do however, treat my tank with a small dose of tonic salt 3 times a week as a preventative measure.

also my filtration is somewhat comprehensive.

water change is also very regular

my 7 cories get shrimp pellets in the afternoon and a bit of an algae wafer in the morning

they love both but when I put white worms in the tank for the other fish they are EXTREMELY interested, they snuffle and rootle around quite maniacly underneath the wormy action ... they don't get to the WWs fast enough and most of them are too big for them so soon hope to feed them grindals

IMO, its water and what goes in the water and how you treat the water that causes most diseases.

I definitely agree with that!!

Most aquarium problems are water problems (poor maintenance, not understanding cycling or filtration)

Followed by other management problems (not quarantining, inappropriate species for tank)

I imagine the main time when food would be a problem is feeding herbivorous food to a carnivore and vice versa.

my fish get ox heart as their main diet.

Whiteworms and mealworms when I have functional cultures.

Other critters when I find them

I wholeheartedly agree with the water argument, but I digress....

Having studied and taught clinical and therapeutic nutrition (both animal and human), I believe that there is much we don't know about the nutrition of non-domesticated species and this often boils down to us feeding an inadequate nutritional profile to our animals. For the animal, this often results in a shorter lifespan and occasionally nutritional deficiencies that can be hard to detect. For example, take the common budgie, in captivity on an all-seed diet, these birds live around 4 years but if fed a varied diet (in an effort to simulate a nutritional profile similar to that achieved by natural variance) they can live 20 years. It is this significant difference in lifespan that has prompted greater research into avian nutrition. Now it is known that vitamin deficiencies result in poor skin health, decreased fertility, respiratory problems, reduced resistance to infection and parasites, vision problems, lack of appetite...I could go on an on but my point is, if your fish came down with any of those problems, would you associate it with nutrition? Probably not, which is exactly the reason why I try to feed as varied a diet as I can.