Toeless Frog

amalie

A month or so ago I bought my son (and me) a couple of "green and gold bell frog" tadpoles, our first one morphed a few days ago - but he's missing all the toes on one foot. I noticed it looked odd while he was a taddy, so figure it probably got nibbled before we got him and that it won't cause any problems. However that's only a guess - does anyone have any experience? Will s/he have trouble without them?

Also - s/he's not a green and gold is s/he? Looks like a Southern Bell to me... right?

DSC02299.jpg

DSC02309.jpg

DSC02305.jpg

I noticed that the toes were shorter than they should be - they looked much like they do now only on a smaller scale. I didn't think much of it at the time wondered if that foot just had some catching up to do. When we got the tadpoles this one had fairly sizeable legs already and they had been kept with tadpoles of varying sizes and I think a frog or two too - hence wondering if it had been nibbled.

Great! At least it will make telling the frogs apart a whole lot easier. Insect Direct - I'd have thought that missing an eye would've hindered depth perception and made fly catching impossible, how'd he get on with that?

We got 8 tadpoles 2 years ago and when they morphed we had 4 with one eye, 3 with 2 eyes and one with no eyes. We guessed it was from pollution.

We still have 2 oneeyed ones and they catch flies ok. The main problem they have is that they have a limited range of vision so if the prey isn't on the right side they cant see it. Often there is a fly sitting right next to them and they don't know. They get them eventually but I don't think they would last in the wild coz they couldn't see the predators coming either.

Very odd, that number with missing eyes would have me thinking it was genetic.

I think most mamals who are born (spawned??) with a missing eye develop their own form of depth perception, but when they loose an eye in an accident they don't develop that. I guess it'd be the same with amphibians.