Morcs' Terrarium setup log

Morcs

they have to be douglas firs if they are pine you will have a dead lizard

That's a tad over the top :lol: -.-

The concentration of phenols in pine wood chips (let alone what is exposed to the animal) would not be enough to kill the lizard. its hardly enough to kill a rat. may not be particularly good for them (and im sure that has more to do with people safeguarding their investment as opposed to any thing else) but it wont kill the lizard.

pine sprays on the other hand are a danger.

need a heat source, ie heat mat, or emitter for night (if it gets too cold). lid not a must really. will help u save power if heating is wired to a thermostat i suppose.

lid will help keep heat in but cold nights isnt always a bad thing. not good for young herp but once some size on it let it harden up lol

Picked her up on friday, name is Yoshi :) 3 months old and pushing 35cm. Many thanks to Livingart :)

Will try and pickup a compatible beardie at some point. tried with a 2 year old and it didnt work out well, the beardie tried taking a bite out of her :(

bluey009.jpg

bluey003.jpg

bluey002.jpg

• 1 month later...

I should be getting one of her brothers next week.

Anyone got any ideas to improve the setup for two BTs? boy and girl, about 5 months old.

Was wondering whether to ditch the basking tile (takes up a lotta room) get some more driftwood and caves in there.

And also considering changing to pine bedding substrate (cheap as from work)

Also some different levels? I could get creative and make up some stuff with wood.

Now im between a rock and a hard place of either keeping it a doddle to maintain and clean (and it is!!) and having it look aesethically pleasing...

Im using a proper ceramic heat emitter now with a thermostat too. I have it on 24/7 (used to have the heat turn off at night on a timer) - wondering what the best method here is - the constant heat prevents brumation and keeps them active, but in a years time if i wanted to look at breeding, its better to let them brumate? I dunno... she seems happy at the moment.

dude there 5 months old yea? id be very suprised if these can be sexed , even as adults man hardcase.

when there togeather there reaction will tell you what sex they are if anything, but ull have to wait till there older they will be fine together at the moment.

maybe someone breeding them can shed some light...

ive got a couple about the same age (7months but age doesnt mean much, size does ;)) and i found what appears to be a sperm plug in the water bowl the other day. Ive separated them now as there was a bit of tension between them, one seems much more dominant. Will see if both setups get plugs or which one is leaving them behind. Otherwise time for winter then fatten up and reintroduce when breeding size (which doesnt seem far off).

• 2 weeks later...
They are adorable!

how did you tell them apart?

Easy :)

My probable girl has shed recently, is thinner (at the moment) and has a more slender head. my probably boy has a fat triangle head, smells, is due a shed, is bigger and fatter :D

• 2 weeks later...

Updated enclosure and skink pics.

Reptar finished his first shed since ive had him. hes a fair bit bigger than Yoshi (who remains quite thin, but doesnt show signs of being underweight)

Both werent really eating so ive got the heat on at night again, will see how it goes. Night temps go down to about 13C, whearas day temps under heat are 34C warm end, 24C cool end.

Changed my light setup as discussed prior. running a 26W 5.0 UV compact under a reflector. Nice and tidy as you can see. Also got a lid for the enclosure with a 1'' gap across the top at the cool end for ventilation.

70610027.jpg

007zj.jpg

006ev.jpg

005dye.jpg

004aa.jpg

003fsm.jpg

002sc.jpg

That's a tad over the top :lol: -.-

The concentration of phenols in pine wood chips (let alone what is exposed to the animal) would not be enough to kill the lizard. its hardly enough to kill a rat. may not be particularly good for them (and im sure that has more to do with people safeguarding their investment as opposed to any thing else) but it wont kill the lizard.

pine sprays on the other hand are a danger.

oh i thought bark would be as dangerous as the pine aspen