Morcs' Terrarium setup log

Morcs

This thread will be my log.

It will be housing a baby beardie for a friend for a while whilst they are overseas, then hopefully get my hands on a baby blue tongue :)

My tank is being made today, a 1200x450x450 with front sliding doors thanks to Greg at Tanks2u, picking up tuesday night.

Decided to make a 'stand' today. Couldnt find a cheap coffee table in the right dimensions. I liked the idea of having the tank close to the floor, so a very simple stand made from a 10mm ply sheet, and some sections of 45x45mm timber.

150310001.jpg

150310004.jpg

Next up was my basking platform. I liked the idea of using a tile, so got a 305x305mm floor tile. In black. should heat up nicely meaning i can use a lower wattage heat bulb. Had trouble wondering how to raise it, decided that pvc tubing cut into 9cm sections would suffice, making it a good distance from the lamp, and providing a 'cave' underneath.

150310003.jpg

150310005.jpg

For the 'substrate' im going to try the artificial turf stuff. looks good, and easy to clean (pull out, hose off)

150310006.jpg

Will post more pics once the tank is here!

May want a cave/shelter down the cool end as well. Otherwise looking good, :hail:

Yep, havent started thinking about the cool end yet! going to see how it looks with the current bits in, and then decide what to do with the rest :D and got to figure out what to use so he can actually get up onto the basking tile, probably a piece of driftwood.

What wattage heatlamp do you think id be able to get away with? Tank is 45 tall, basking area is 9cm off the ground, and bulb would probably hang inside the top corner, meaning a distance of around 25cm.

I like your idea regarding the dark tile...so simple but it really does work :hail:

Play around with the wattage of bulbs to get desired temp. Or use a thermostat. Im guessing a 40 or 60watt spotlight should suffice. Bunnings has all sorts of spotlights of different wattage, and even the same wattage but different sized bulbs.

I use a 25watt for youngsters but their bulbs are closer to the basking rock/tile as appose to my older dragons. 40 to 60 watt for adults even upto 100watt depending on setup/time of year.

100watt+ bulbs really need a cage/guard. As the risk of burning the lizard increases etc. Doesnt hurt to have one for lower wattage bulbs too, but ive never had a problem. Only once had a minor burn and that was from a 150watt emitter.

I like your idea regarding the dark tile...so simple but it really does work :hail:

Play around with the wattage of bulbs to get desired temp. Or use a thermostat. Im guessing a 40 or 60watt spotlight should suffice. Bunnings has all sorts of spotlights of different wattage, and even the same wattage but different sized bulbs.

I use a 25watt for youngsters but their bulbs are closer to the basking rock/tile as appose to my older dragons. 40 to 60 watt for adults even upto 100watt depending on setup/time of year.

100watt+ bulbs really need a cage/guard. As the risk of burning the lizard increases etc. Doesnt hurt to have one for lower wattage bulbs too, but ive never had a problem. Only once had a minor burn and that was from a 150watt emitter.

Cheers, so any spotlight type bulb will suffice? that would be good, would definately be able to play around with different wattages as they are cheap. I had a heart attack even at my staff-buy price on a exo terra heat bulb today. Ill probably go with the ceramic bulb holder too though.

For UV, going to use my aquariums 90cm T8 light hood running a 30W UV10.0 across the length of the tank, overkill in the size of light or UV rating?

Thanks for your input, im still learning about reptiles :D

Me 2, learning more every day. Which makes it such a great hobby to be part of. By no means an expert though, just a bit bonkers :D

Um in regards to bulbs, mystic made a valid point recently that some bulbs are rated more so for been on full time, something like that? I suspect you get what you pay for with the exo terra and the likes. I personally find just any old spotlight ok.

Definitely want a ceramic holder.

UV sounds good, i wouldnt put in any more but thats just me :D

Update!

Picked up the terrarium last night. threw the basking tile, grass and some random logs in just for now.

170310004.jpg

170310002.jpg

Went to mitre 10. Spent a whole $13 on 3 different wattage bulbs (40,60,100) and some mesh. When my dual probe thermometer comes in ill play around with the different bulbs as suggested. Got a ceramic holder and cage from work today too, just got to figure out how to mount it, and the mesh top.

170310001.jpg

More pics coming soon!

Im having trouble figuring the best way to have the heat lamp unit mounted due to the way the tank is constructed. ive got metal bracket things which i can kinda bend (though they are very thick and not very workable) but still cant get it mounted how id like. Thinking yes a thin ply top, varnished, with a cutout with a ventilation window on the cooler side, and the heat lamp screwed under the other side.

Making a lid.

Bought some mdf (in hindsight, ply wouldve been much better!)

Cut sections of the mdf for a frame, the glued the mesh on. The lid is a perfect fit onto the open area of the tank.

Now the glue holding the frame together has cured, i can flip it over to make some nice edging to reinforce it, and sandwich the mesh.

When construction is done I shall be sanding away the excess glue, and varnishing with a mahogany coloured woodstain :)

And then i can mount my heatlamp, and my aquarium is being emptied today so I can pinch my light unit for this :)

210310001.jpg

210310002.jpg

Next pictures should be of a 95% finished terrarium, still got to pay for a UV tube, and wait for my ordered bits to come in (bowls etc...)

Through the lid in the bin. Didnt turn out to the standard id hoped. going for an open top, and just cut a piece of MDF to span the tank to bolt the heat lamp onto.

Have begun temp trials. the basking area has warmed up and the temp is sat around 34-35. the max for BTs from reading is 35, so ill leave it on for a few more hours and see how it goes. Thats with a 60w spotlight, tomorrow will trial the 40w. definately wont need the 100w that i bought.

210310001.jpg

Stand is currently in the garage after a few coats of woodstain.

Finished :) Picked up some more bits from work today, UV tube, bowls, dual probe thermometer, calcium and vitamin supplments, tongs etc

60W spot is the light of choice for heat. directly under the lamp it heats to 35C, just trialling now to see what the temp gradient comes out like at either end of the tank. Going to run a 12hr heat period, and a 10hr light period (30w UV tube)

230310006.jpg

230310005.jpg

230310004.jpg

230310002.jpg

can you use those nice wood chips (like in gardens) instead, or is that bad for them?

You can, as BTs looooove to burrow apparently. But like sand etc.. it can be quite messy. the astroturf i will just pull out, and blast with a hose...

Total cost at retail value, less than $600

I already had the logs and light hood, but ontop of that its cost me less than $400

Nice tidy tank :hail: perfect for feeding live foods :D

can you use those nice wood chips (like in gardens) instead, or is that bad for them?

You can and it does look a bit more natural, but i found it got stinky. Take out the solids and completely replace every month or so and should be ok, seems to be used alot for blue tongues. Bark or the wood chips. But not so good for feeding live foods and maybe a small risk of impaction.