Our first Terrarium

Well after months of talking about it we've finally got it sorted, We've had the 'baby fogs' as our 3 1/2 yr old calls them, in a bucket out back for ages, so it's great to be finally able to get them inside. We had put a internal filter aside but we've discovered it don't go, will the tadpoles be OK for a week or so without it, or any surface agitation? I assume they will as they've had none in the bucket and have done well.

2403436640060019373S600x600Q85.jpg

2476217380060019373S600x600Q85.jpg

the answer to that depends entirely on whether it's legal to take native flora from the bush :oops:

Not sure about law but a general rule is to replace what was taken (once the fern outgrows the tank put it back and take a smaller one :wink: )

We've had to remove the ferns, the lights were just too intense, by the end of the day the big fern was all dry and crunchy, so we've put them all back and replaced them all with peace lilies, doesn't look native any more but looks quite exotic now.

I think we may still have problems with the lights though, do you need the lights on for basking when the tadpoles have transformed for 12 hours or can we have them on for 3 hr periods during the day?

That looks cool! Good job!

We have no lights on our frogs. They do get a couple of hours of sunlight though.

I did have them in a room that gets pretty hot in the afternoon. I moved them to a room that just gets the morning sun. The frogs seem unchanged but most of the plants died as the soil dried out - previously condensation had kept everything moist. ( 5ft tank half water half land- mesh lids)

I have found that the more greenery in the tank the greener the frogs are. When the plants died and the moss went brown so did the frogs. Put in heaps more green plants and they went green again.

Yes, green plants does bring out the colour in frogs, also warmth if they are golden bells (not sure about southerns). If the temp is around about 22 degrees, then the frogs will bring out more colour and also be more active.

• 2 weeks later...

I've replaced the peace lily with another fern, it looks so nice growing out the top of the tank along with a Kawakawa and it seems like such a shame to have to put a lid on it (squishing the plants down in the process) in order to add live food for the frogs. Does anyone have a lidless terrarium or have any ideas how we could keep both looks and still be able to add live food without it just crawling or flying right out, and of course stopping the frogs from just climbing up and out?

Yeah, no gaps. My frog got out the other day! Flatemate found him on the floor. I have no idea how it happened as the lid flap is in the middle, so he would have to have crawled upside down to get out. Lucky he was found before he dried out too much or the cat found him.

• 8 months later...