The golden triangle...

JazzyJeff

I would tell you if I could find my Takashi Amano book :roll:

Google his name and I am sure you will find it easily.

Basically, it is... Greek philosophers and mathematicians found out long ago: the best ratio that pleases your eye is 1:1.618. To explain. When you drink your coffee, you mix one part of milk with 5 parts of coffee (just as an idea) You have a ratio of 1:5. So when you place your focal point, you divide your tank length into two pieces. One has the ratio of 1.618 and the other the ratio of 1.

How to do that??? Very simple: just measure the length of your tank and divide it through 2.618. Take the result and measure it from one side of your tank. Mark it. The rest is 1.618 (no math there). This is the place for your very special centerpiece, focal point or whatever you call it.

Ooo! I wish I had one :(

Simply, the golden ratio is about 1:2 so a 3ft tank would have it's focal point 1ft in from the left or right. I think.

HTH

Google his name and I am sure you will find it easily.

Basically, it is... Greek philosophers and mathematicians found out long ago: the best ratio that pleases your eye is 1:1.618. To explain. When you drink your coffee, you mix one part of milk with 5 parts of coffee (just as an idea) You have a ratio of 1:5. So when you place your focal point, you divide your tank length into two pieces. One has the ratio of 1.618 and the other the ratio of 1.

How to do that??? Very simple: just measure the length of your tank and divide it through 2.618. Take the result and measure it from one side of your tank. Mark it. The rest is 1.618 (no math there). This is the place for your very special centerpiece, focal point or whatever you call it.

Caryl you are a legend! Check out that answer guys! I am impressed - and now understand the "Golden Triangle" :hail: Thank you!

I copied it from elsewhere, it wasn't my idea! :oops:

I had 2 Amano books (both the same). I sold one but can't find the other. I suspect I have loaned it to someone and they have not returned it :roll:

Note to self; stop lending people your books as you can never remember who you gave them to and they don't give them back!! :evil:

If you are talking about the focal point and the most pleasing for the eye thingy then its 1.618.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think it works out like this.

1.2mtr long tank divide by 2.618 = 458.35mm

1200 - 458.35 = 741.65

So for a 1.2 mtr tank the marks are about 740 and 460.