Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The golden triangle...

Featured Replies

TRIANGLE? or ratio?

The Golden Triangle is one of Asia's two main illicit opium-producing areas. It is an area of around 950000 square kilometres that overlaps the mountains of ...

I would tell you if I could find my Takashi Amano book :roll:

Google his name and I am sure you will find it easily.

Basically, it is... Greek philosophers and mathematicians found out long ago: the best ratio that pleases your eye is 1:1.618. To explain. When you drink your coffee, you mix one part of milk with 5 parts of coffee (just as an idea) You have a ratio of 1:5. So when you place your focal point, you divide your tank length into two pieces. One has the ratio of 1.618 and the other the ratio of 1.

How to do that??? Very simple: just measure the length of your tank and divide it through 2.618. Take the result and measure it from one side of your tank. Mark it. The rest is 1.618 (no math there). This is the place for your very special centerpiece, focal point or whatever you call it.

I would tell you if I could find my Takashi Amano book :roll:

Ooo! I wish I had one :(

Simply, the golden ratio is about 1:2 so a 3ft tank would have it's focal point 1ft in from the left or right. I think.

HTH

  • Author
I would tell you if I could find my Takashi Amano book :roll:

Google his name and I am sure you will find it easily.

Basically, it is... Greek philosophers and mathematicians found out long ago: the best ratio that pleases your eye is 1:1.618. To explain. When you drink your coffee, you mix one part of milk with 5 parts of coffee (just as an idea) You have a ratio of 1:5. So when you place your focal point, you divide your tank length into two pieces. One has the ratio of 1.618 and the other the ratio of 1.

How to do that??? Very simple: just measure the length of your tank and divide it through 2.618. Take the result and measure it from one side of your tank. Mark it. The rest is 1.618 (no math there). This is the place for your very special centerpiece, focal point or whatever you call it.

Caryl you are a legend! Check out that answer guys! I am impressed - and now understand the "Golden Triangle" :hail: Thank you!

I copied it from elsewhere, it wasn't my idea! :oops:

I had 2 Amano books (both the same). I sold one but can't find the other. I suspect I have loaned it to someone and they have not returned it :roll:

Note to self; stop lending people your books as you can never remember who you gave them to and they don't give them back!! :evil:

If you are talking about the focal point and the most pleasing for the eye thingy then its 1.618.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think it works out like this.

1.2mtr long tank divide by 2.618 = 458.35mm

1200 - 458.35 = 741.65

So for a 1.2 mtr tank the marks are about 740 and 460.

Library card system Caryl.

My kids are always borrowing books, dvd's and cd's , I started a notebook that they have to log all borrowing just so I can know where things have gone.

Only way to remember.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.