Planted tank conversion help/advice

DennisP

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your algae eaters will eat some of it at that point, and some of it will just rot away but the rest you may need to scrub off (it will come off very easily after a few days). Any affected plant leave will not generally recover though so it is best to just clip them off.

I only have ottos and a lazy whiptail.... kinda hard for them to eat staghorn i guess. My leaves weren't very badly effected. It was mainly on my val, which i trimmed every morning and after school after it hard grown too long on a leaf. unfortunetly it managed to reach one of my logs, but its dead now.

Choice is yours 8)

I can assure you we are quite safe and not strange at all :wink:

I look very much like my avatar so you will recognise me. Plus I will have a fluffy husband and the bird with me :lol:

If you do want us to photograph it then PM me your address and a contact number. If we are anywhere near you over the weekend we will text and arrange a time.

Here is some floating fern.

Floating-fern-01.jpg

Nasty side tank shot, bit distorted...

Floating-fern-02.jpg

Floating-fern-03.jpg

Surface growth - bit bent where it hits the top of the tank (its an Aquastart 320

Floating-fern-04.jpg

Submerse growth - plantlet growing in Riccia

Plantlets that form on the leaf margins - heaps of them!!! Then they detach and drift around and grow on the surface of the water.

The one on the Riccia is a plantlet, and although not wild, Riccia is available in NZ :wink:

Nope, has no roots just floats about on the top of the tank, unless you tie it down with something, like a hair net or nylon.

It dies off if it gets insufficient light, so if you have too big a wad of it tied to something, the stuff underneath usually goes yellow and mushy and dies off - very messy.

And if you try and trim or mow it you will end up with a mess that takes ages to try and net out of the tank :evil: