Bulk flake

Barrie

I bought some flake (very good brand) in bulk a while ago.

AS a lot know, I dont feed a lot of flake as I prefer live food but figured that by buying in bulk, I would have consistancy in good quality and save enough for a big mac as well. This food was broken down into smaller containers with a sealed lid. I then taped the lid so there was not going to be any air enter and spoil the flake.

I have noticed that food smelt more as time went on an I suspected that it was looseing a lot of the goodness.

I was correct. Now this flake that is fed to a couple of tanks is meaning that the fish in those tanks are going down hill in quality with smaller bodies and simply not produceing eggs.

From now on, I will never buy flake in bulk again. I will buy smaller containers so it dose not loose its value and my fish get the best out of their tucker

No, It was fresh as

Fish will still eat it and survive but being a breeder, the quality is a little less and there for not as good for the production of eggs

You can see the difference in the adults

Thing is, you dont end up saveing much and possibly even less because the fry dont grow as well

No, I will stick to smaller amounts. I wont mention the brand but I belive that its one of the best on the market

ive heard keeping it in the fridge can help

i tend to just keep mine on top of the glass lids under the metal halide :o

in saying that my idea of buying in bulk is 250g of tetra cichlid for $40 and that dosent last long enough to go off aneway

i just wonder why people like to use FLAKE?

I prefer CRISP or pellets food they would last longer and can be crush as easy as flake food;

Why FLAKE food? :roll:

My fish like flakes and easy to come by. What fish do you have? I keep nothing over 10cm so flakes are great for smaller mouths.

It would depend on what sort of fish you have.

Flake has a tendency to sit on the surface and suits fish that normally feed this way such as small surface dwellers, it breaks up easily in the water column and distributes itself around the tank in small bits.