Fleas and Fish

pufferfishnz

Tis the season for fleas and my house is now crawling with them.

We have fleaed the cats and i swear the carpet is still moving. Since they cant bite the cats they are now starting on the humans.

We need to get rid of them, otherwise we will die from blood loss.

Can anyone suggest anything??

If I use a flea bomb what do I do with the fish??

I agree with the flee bomb! I've used them before in the old place, they work a charm. Definitely cover the fish tanks entirely. Also remove any plants from the rooms and put the can on a sheet of newspaper.

I think most of the instructions are on the back of the can.

You probably know this already but I would advise avoiding the flea treatments that you can get in the supermarket, they do not work well and they can be very toxic to cats. Also, fleas can survive all year round in warm moist environments. Using a good quality flea product like Advantage or Frontline, etc. will keep the fleas out of your house all year long. When you use the bomb, prop up couch cushions, matresses, etc. A cat that has a load of fleas will drop hundreds of eggs every time it sits in one place for a few minutes so everywhere the cat goes will be a lot of eggs and these fall into cracks and crevices that can be protected from the bombing chemicals so eliminate any cracks and crevices if you can.

Also, the flea is the intermediate host for the dipylidium tapeworm (flea larvae eat tapeworm eggs and your cat eats the fleas when it grooms, thus ingesting the tapeworm) so you will need to deworm as well.

Good luck! :D

Yep, worms too. 8) Not tapeworms though, but if your cats don't have fleas then they shouldn't have dipylidium tapeworms anyway. However, if they are eating wildlife they could get taenia tapeworms. At any rate, if you see any 'grains of rice' near the anus it is time to deworm with praziquantel (Droncit or Drontal).

At any rate, if you see any 'grains of rice' near the anus it is time to deworm with praziquantel (Droncit or Drontal).

Inbox.jpg

Cover the airpump as well as KP said, a friend lost his goldfish when they flea'd the house by forgetting to turn it off.

One of ours has filter fluff on the intake, you do not want to get the chemicals on that then sucked into your tanks.

thanks for that jenniferh. i have been using frontline, but then this happened.....

both the cats have been dosed twice in less than 2 months and they are still getting bitten, they cant stop scratching and they are just not happy kitties.

so flea bomb it will be and i will be going back to advantage this time round.

Aw, poor kitties. Frontline works well to keep flea populations at bay but nothing will kill fleas faster than Advantage (usually within a minute or two, while you may see fleas still moving around, they will be unable to bite). Back in the old days there was no such products and we had to bomb, and spray, and powder, and use flea collars. Yuk. So happy that Advantage exists now!!

Hope you get some relief soon!

We have been using Frontline too this season and despite regular treatments all the animals ( 2 dogs and 5 cats) have fleas. Usually we use advantage ( which works) but when I brought the bulk packets that was what they had. I forgot that several years ago the same thing happened.

It seems that Frontline is not effective for us either . Drat more money down the drain. :(

I didn't even keep cats nor did the tenants before me...but they were really dirty people. The carpets and rugs were absolutely infested and even though we cleaned when we moved in they were still biting my ankles over the first couple of months. I had red itchy bumps all over my feet and lower legs. I almost moved out but we decided to do a flea bomb as a last ditch effort.

It worked a charm and was a one-off fix that didn't need to be repeated again while we lived there over the next 3 years.

So i would recommend it...then in the future just treat with frontline and stuff and you'll be good as gold.