Any-one been to Bangkok?

danilada

I lived there for 2 months and I have a friend who still lives there. Crazy place but very cool. Would recommend that women don't go alone. Lots of shopping there.

The Chatuchak market is unreal. It is very easy to be taken advantage of there and everybody barters so whatever price they give to you, come back with half that and if they aren't happy, walk away.

Don't eat street food unless you want amoebic dysentery and don't drive. :o

What else did you want to do there?

I lived there for 2 months and I have a friend who still lives there. Crazy place but very cool. Would recommend that women don't go alone. Lots of shopping there.

The Chatuchak market is unreal. It is very easy to be taken advantage of there and everybody barters so whatever price they give to you, come back with half that and if they aren't happy, walk away.

Don't eat street food unless you want amoebic dysentery and don't drive. :o

What else did you want to do there?

Would be going with my partner, I am a fussy eater so no probs there, why not drive? - Whats public transport like?

What 'main' sights are worth the visit?

Driving is a guerrilla exercise there - best left to the Thais - even being a passenger is a real adventure!! You will see what I mean. Taxis are easy to find and very affordable but be warned, most look like private cars. :o Public transport is mostly a scooter with 10 people, or a truck with 30 people. :lol: Honestly, the taxis are the best way to go.

Main sights include the grand palace, reclining buddha, all sorts of temples. Be warned, you need certain footwear and protocols when visiting so try to be culturally aware. The Chatuchak market is great as is the floating market and there are a number of huge malls. If you have time, you can see some nice beaches or elephants outside of Bangkok itself.

Ive been there heaps. Don't ever go back there in a hurry that's for sure. :lol: I mean most people find it fun - its just not my sort of fun... its too busy, too hot, too humid.

Depends on what you like really, the beaches are nice in the evenings, the food is pretty cool if you eat the local stuff from a small shack on the beach.

I am planning to travel to Bangkok next once I sold my business, I hear its petty good crowded city with off street food store..I got to try that out..Also what i'm buzzing is the tropical fruit they got over in Thailand..YUMMMY!

mybe abit of tours around the country too.

I think Thai will be a great place to visite :wink:

Went to thailand for 6 weeks about 2 years ago. Like everyones said, so ridiculously humid that I couldnt handle being there for too long a period. We did the usual stuff, visiting the palaces etc, but the best bit for me was going on a trip to Ayutthaya. These ruins are gorgeous. We went there on a day trip, were you bused to it, and then got a trip down the river back to the city.

I perfered Chiang Mai though. Not as crazy busy. Still has awesome shopping. Lots of interesting things to do in its general vicinity.

I've been, completely recommend going. But I'd suggest spending the start of your trip down south in the islands (either side depend on the time of year your going), once you have relaxed hit the shops in Bangkok for a few days on the way home. Your more likely to have problems from other tourists than you are from locals, they know the penalties, they pretty much start with losing body parts and go down hill from there.

Assume everything is a fake, most likely it is, every thing is also very very very cheap you should be able to live off $20-$30 max a day, accom, eating, and getting round.

Transport within Bangkok is really scary and often takes a lot of negotiation to be taken to where you want to go, they always have a 'relative' with a shop that is better that they want to take you too. But if you don't mind the tiki tours and just sit back and enjoy the fun it's great.

Getting round the country is easy, the bus system is really good, and internal flights are cheap.

Lastly bribes are just a way of life there, it goes against the grain for us, but is the norm for them.

Thailand is a beautiful country and Bangkok is a great city to visit. I've been a few times with and without children and feel completely at home in the city. The markets are great. 'How do you know if the stuff is fake?' If you buy from a stall and/or they let you barter for it then it is not going to be genuine. The real deal will only come from certified dealers. Its pretty much the same everywhere overseas.