Leopard Gecko Diet

Charlie

I have done ALLOT of research on Leopard Geckos and I keep getting confilcting infomation on Diets... Before i get mine i want to make sure im bang on the money for food!!!

Many people/keepers/breeders believe that Leopards can be kept on Meal Worms happily, and that they are a great food source.

Some say they cant be because their phosphours (speeling) levels are to high causing difficulty in calcium absorbtion.

What is your opinion? I would like to feed mine Meal Worms with the occasional montly lot of crickets/locusts due to that meals worms are cheap/easy to obtain/easy to store

sadly at the moment I cant breed crickets, I am a uni student who plans on doing really well in my degree and dont have the time needed to sort through bugs.

Any ideas on what i could feed that is nice and easy (if there is one) or is there a breeder who can provide a regular source of crickets/locust to me cheaply (most cricket breeders have hungry mouths of their own to feed sadly)

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

If you can afford the overpriced leopard geckos you should be able to afford a mixed diet of overpriced insects. I can't afford to buy insects for my overpriced beardies so I had to learn to breed their insects. It is not always easy and so would be a great diversion for your studies. You may not end up with a degree in insect breeding but you will learn some usefull skills. It is only my opinion but feeding reptiles on virtually only mealworms is a bit like you living on virtually only porridge (which as a student I admit you may be used to---but hopefully that will end when you get your qualifications and become an overpriced professional).

If you can afford the overpriced leopard geckos you should be able to afford a mixed diet of overpriced insects. I can't afford to buy insects for my overpriced beardies so I had to learn to breed their insects. It is not always easy and so would be a great diversion for your studies. You may not end up with a degree in insect breeding but you will learn some usefull skills. It is only my opinion but feeding reptiles on virtually only mealworms is a bit like you living on virtually only porridge (which as a student I admit you may be used to---but hopefully that will end when you get your qualifications and become an overpriced professional).

well said 8)

apparently you didn't think this through

you are basically buying a ferrari but wanting to run it on CNG or diesel

if these are young leps then what they are raised on while they are developing will determine the quality of the breeding animal you have later on

and also the quality of the progeny you sell

you may need to bite the bullet and either pay for feeders or make the time to breed your own

I know that some people feed purely one thing but then often they are inexperienced and the animal suffers or they are very experienced and have learnt by trial and error and some things work for a minority that do not work for the majority

you get what you pay for after all

unless you are divorced and they you keep paying for what you are no longer getting

same with poor quaility food/environment

these are an investement for the next 20 years wether you breed them or not.

why would you want the easiest cheapest option

Surely your parents must have considered that

they dont know that im getting them!!! nor do they know about the $$$ tag on them!!! they would kick up a storm me spending 5K on a pet!!!

so easier to keep them in the dark on that one!!!

Yeah all the big time breeders in the state all claim to use just Meal Worms and say have fantastic they are, that the can reach 40grams as fast as 4 months!

The "big time breeders" are concerned with making a profit, not providing a balanced and varied diet. They also want you to buy them and not be put off by the cost/time of keeping them.

Maybe you should get a pet rock instead...

yes this is true as they are running a business.

Gues i best start breeding up some locusts.

I haven't bred them but I understand crickets are easier to breed than locusts.I am a bit paranoid about crickets as they bite. Since leps are nocturnal I would guess that they don't feed a lot during the day so you might be better with locusts so they can choose when they want to eat them. I would tend to lean towards locusts plus the odd mealworms rather than the other way round. Other insects in the mix such as wax moth larvae etc would help to give variety as well.