Leeches

raewyna

I have leeches in at least one pond and from they have got into one fish tank (presumably via plants). They don't seem to be a problem - baby guppies unharmed, plants look OK, plenty of snails still. Do they do any harm? Thanks

Leeches generally mean good water quality.

I would watch them we have quite a few different species in NZ most live on snails and worms etc so I would watch them in your tank.. your fish should be ohk and generally they don't eat plants so they should be all good too :D

Hope that helps!

I know Donna has been having trouble with leeches in her turtle ponds - They get into the shell & make it pitted - and was seeking ways to get rid of them without having to drain & dry the ponds & move all the turtles. Any suggestions?

(She had done a bit of research and confirmed they were leeches)

ps I love planaria, their faces are so cute. Reminds me of high school biology and making them have multi heads.

NZ ones are mostly non-blood-sucking as far as I am aware.

That's reassuring :D

They were only small but it still gave me a fright when I found these things stuck on my hands after doing some slime removal in the pond.

I once stayed with friends in Queensland and the guy we were staying with found a leech stuck on his leg several hours after going for a bush walk - yuck.

I have planaria too - I don't see them often but if a tank gets too grubby the planaria appear. The leeches are different. The planaria glide in one plane along the glass, but the leeches hang on at one end and wave their heads around looking at where they want to go. And they're bigger and browner. I ID'd them on website pictures, just didn't find much information about their effect in tanks. I killed the inside ones i found, but if they're harmless, I might leave the outside ones alone and see what I can learn. They're in a 10 litre bucket with a dwarf water lily and no fish. another one of my water lily buckets (42litres also with no fish) has some tubifex in it. Where that came from is a mystery too - we wonder if it might have been in the water lily potting mix.

Are the leeches causing pitting of the shell or are they just taking advantage of lessions on the shell??

Have seen leeches on turtles with shell rot lesions before, but only around the shell margins at tops of legs and neck of animals with undamaged shells

Most turtles will sun bask daily , wouldnt the leeches want to avoid this, and thus only attach whist the animal is in the water so not interering with UV exposure???