January 29, 201016 yr comment_352388 I am considering feeding pipi to my cichlids once a week ,how do other people do it? -boil it,mash it,slice it... whats the usual method? Report
January 29, 201016 yr comment_352406 I'd say raw is best, fish don't usually cook their food... Report
January 29, 201016 yr comment_352428 Yeah it should be fine. It is quite tough though so might pay to have it in the right sized pieces for the fish, you could probably freeze and grate it or cut it up if need be. Or if you have big fish they should rip it to pieces. As with all meaty foods don't overfeed or it will foul your tank up really fast.. Report
January 29, 201016 yr comment_352429 had never really thought about it but while were slightly on topic what other seafood is good for fish i can get a hold of it all very easily but never really thought of feeding it to my fish Report
January 29, 201016 yr comment_352431 I think any fish or shellfish meat is good for fish.. I tend to stick to saltwater stuff as it is less likely to contain nasties that can live in freshwater and harm your fish but freshwater stuff is probably ok if you can verify it is clean.. I would also feed in moderation for a while because like everything I am sure moderation is the best.. Report
January 29, 201016 yr comment_352432 kina is messy, fish meat, mussels, squid all good, i cut the tougher stuff into earthworm sized bits and wash before feeding out prawns and shrimp, you can take the point on their heads off if your worried about it, i leave shell on for the bigger fish white bait is good too Report
January 29, 201016 yr Author comment_352435 I just took a few pipi's out of their shells ,ripped them up with my fingers and dropped them in ,dont think ive ever seen my fish get so excited , i think next time i'll dice it finely with a knife -one bit was a bit large,and as usual my greediest fish ,an ice blue decided he'd scoff it -looked like he was going to choke to death for a few seconds! Report
January 29, 201016 yr comment_352471 do you feed seafood to just marine fish or freshwater too? (ie guppies,kribensis ect) Report
January 29, 201016 yr comment_352477 you can feed to both but probably hard to cut it small enough for guppies, kribs etc without fouling the water a bit Report
January 31, 201016 yr comment_352701 I use mussles for years. I cook them, then freeze. I cut thin slivers, mix it with finely cut frozen peas. Put it in water,stirr and discard the very fine 'dust' and then feed it a bit at a time so it doesn't sink to the bottom. The fine stuff is good for the smaller fish and young ones, the bigger pieces are snapped up by the bigger fish. When they get less keen, I stop. I have malawi tank! Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.