RedSea Max 130. Thoughts?

Brennos

Hey everyone, I was in at HFF Albany today, and noticed they have a RSM 130 on display with a Clownfish and another. I have always wanted a marine, but don't have room for much more than my current AR620T. The RSM130 is about the same size, and would be perfect (size wise) for me. Are there any massive downfalls or problems with these all in one set-ups? I only want 1-2 Clownfish, and maybe a another small fish, and of course some corals and anemone. What do you guys think of the Red Sea Max systems?

Thanks for the input guys. Constant murmur? I honestly didn't hear it, will need to go and have another listen next time I'm up there. I'd really love a reef, but I don't have the room for much more than the 130d. So this might be an opportunity to get into a reef, then upgrade when i buy my own house.

That's not even necessarily true. Many are quite happy hosting in rocks, macroalgae, corals, heaters, powerheads, corners and depressions in the sand.

That may be true Ira, but the fact is you never find clowns fish in the wild without an anemone, never.

But Ira's right, not enough light and filitration for an anemone in that tank.

They're also very hard to catch, if you consider putting one into your tank, consider it a permanent addition.

Whatever you do, do not get a black and white striped damsel aka humbug damsel. Even more of a PITA, heaps of people get them because it was cheap or given to them, there is a reason for that.

So what's the verdict? The Red Sea max is an aboslute no-no?

The thing that appeals to me about is that it is an all in one unit with adequate lighting etc, and its just "Plug and Play" pretty much. No mucking about!

That's what appeals to me as well. But at 2k, for something that i will end up replacing at a later date, i might just wait and build a 4ft one later.

Have you tried pricing up the parts individually and gotten a comparison of what it comes to?

I think a well built good quality cabinet, lighting system and tank will send the budget to around $1100-$1300 easily - leaving hardly any money for skimmers, sump, return pumps etc!

Don't get me wrong, the RSM is good value, I have priced up the hardware (not the tank or stand) and realise i'm going to need over 4k for hardware. But for something that I will probably upgrade in 1-2 years, it would be better in the long run to spend 4k on a decent setup. Then I can have corals and anemones too. :D I guess i'm just impatient, and want a marine now, but don't have the room ( or the structual strenth in the floor) to support a 4ft marine. I would be too scared to put that kinda weight on a wooden floor.

I have a 5 1/2 foot marine + 4 foot sump on my wooden floor. It's next to a load bearing wall and running across the joists.

it would be better in the long run to spend 4k on a decent setup

Good to see you looking at it this way, too many people try and go cheap then either waste money throwing out the rubbish gear or just give up. But I'm sorry to say but unless you are good at DIY or manage to get a lot of second hand gear, you will be lucky to get a decent setup for 4k. Good quality pumps for water movement alone (tunze, vortec) will cost you the best part of 1.5k.

My main issue now, is inexperience, and not really know what gear I need, and what gear I don't, and what gear is recommended but not needed initially. My plan right now is to stockpile as much of the gear as possible. So things like the heaters, power heads, skimmers etc. The stuff that can sit around for a year while I save/convince the Mrs, to get a 4ft+ tank. If I have the tank and stand designed first, then design the sump, and stick to the designs, the gear I buy, should fit with no dramas. Things like testing equipment, and tools would also be on the list of stockpiled gear as would a RODI unit too I guess. Is this a bad way to do it. The problem I have, is I can not save (impulsive spender right here), so If I buy the bits I need, not only am I getting the bits needed, but I will be motivated more, to save for the tank. especially If I have a couple of thousand dollars of equipment sitting around redundant. Other option is to force myself to save, and get the cabinet, and tank, but then I have to look at it for months on end, while I save for the gear, and being as I am a very impatient person, that will nigh on kill me lol.

I have a place for it, but it would have to be in the garage, which is ground level, and has concrete floor. The rest of the house is about 2ft higher than the garage, and was originally a batch, so the flooring is not that strong. I'm weary of my 130l tropical set-up, I might have to brace the underfloor yet.