Summer Time Emersed Plant Setup

phoenix44

So this is what I just figured I'd do, as I had some extra congo fern and this red sword plant thing.

Used an extra poly box and filled some water in it.

DSC06992Small.jpg

Put some flourish comprehensive in the water and in the rock wool that the plants are in.

DSC06993Small.jpg

Plant gets dunked in the water.

DSC06994Small.jpg

Gladwrap time

DSC06995Small.jpg

Will it work? I don't see the whole point of it, but I was bored and need to do something when I'm bored. maybe ill get a flower or 2.

yeap, fat cat that left hair where ever it went has gone. i sorta miss him cause he just sat there sleeping all day. quite useless really. :lol:

I know the feeling. No black clothes on the carpet, you'll come out looking like the cat :o

Ditto, my daughter moved back complete with HUGE dog, He's an Anatolian Sheppard cross. So wooden floors,with said dog equal tumble weed (dog hair)blowing across it .Can't wear soaks either as you end up with furry feet!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back to topic what a great idea might give it ago myself ...

Rockwool - it is what they pack around the roots of the plants when they put them in the little baskets.

A substrate growing system is a hydroponic system where the root zone is physically supported by media. The plants are fed by applying nutrient solution to the media. This system is in contrast to an NFT (nutrient film technique) type hydroponic system where the root system is not supported by a growing media but is bathed directly in the nutrient solution.

Almost any material that supports the root system, other than soil, is considered a substrate. Substrates can be organic such as peat, pine bark, sawdust, rice hulls etc.. They can be petroleum based such as polymeric foams or plastic beads or they can be inorganic mineral based as are sand, gravel, perlite and rockwool.

Rockwool is a man-made mineral fiber. The vast majority of rockwool used in the world is used for insulation purposes much like fiberglass. However, the properties of rockwool can be substantially changed by adjusting the mineral content. In the early 1960s it was found that following several modifications to the manufacturing process rockwool would support and, under the right handling practices, promote plant growth. This specially produced horticultural rockwool is what is primarily sold as a hydroponic substrate. (From now on the term "rockwool" will specifically refer to the horticultural grade product).

Rockwool is manufactured by melting basaltic rock and spinning the melt into fibers. Immediately following spinning, a binder is added to the fibers and they are compressed and cured into large slabs. By adjusting the amount of pressure, the density of the media is adjusted. The large slabs can be cut into smaller slabs and propagation blocks for easy handling. The spun fibers are also formed into a granulated (flocked) product which can be handled in a manner similar to bales of peat.

retrieved from:http://www.hydroponics101.com/sw63706.php

Forgot the obvious question, Phoenix - you are having summer in Palmy - seems to have skipped us here in the HB today!

I think you need to secure the glad wrap a bit better if you want the humidity to stay in....otherwise neat experiment!

If you were not concerned about damaging the lid, you could cut the top panel out and use the edge to hold the gladwrap down.

Blow in there before you put the lid on and you will increase the CO2.

only by a fraction.

You exhale about 79% nitrogen, 15% oxygen and about 5% carbon dioxide. This does not take into account the water vapor or the other gases that make up a minor fraction of the atmosphere.

It is called the "bell jar method" of growing aquatic plants emersed and is done to increase the humidity over the technique that I use which is called

the "throw it in the glasshouse technique" where the humidity is the same as outside of the glasshouse. With the latter technique the conversion to emersed has to be complete or those leaves will dry up and die.

only by a fraction.

You exhale about 79% nitrogen, 15% oxygen and about 5% carbon dioxide. This does not take into account the water vapor or the other gases that make up a minor fraction of the atmosphere.

Yes but the concentration of CO2 you exhale is about 100 times greater than the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere so the plants should love it...but of course you would have to keep breathing into the box as the plants use it up! :wink: