Golden Zebra loaches question

Chogs

check this site out http://www.loaches.com - both this and another I googled recommend that they are kept in groups of 3 or more. This will make them more sociable and relaxed.

+1

You will see a big difference when they are in larger groups, although it can take a few days for them to settle in. :wink:

I have recently bought two loaches.

they keep going up and down the side and wont fed at all and rarely go on the substrate, is normal for newly introduced fish?

Also do golden zebras eat snails?

many thanks in advance.

Going up and down the side would suggest they are doing the "Loachy Dance". This is apparently normal for newly introduced fish. They can also do it when you make changes to the tank, like move ornaments or plants around.

What sort of substrate do you have? It is recommended that it should be a fine or rounded gravel or sand because they enjoy sifting through the substrate and it may hurt their sensitive barbels if it is too sharp.

I don't have experience with the Golden Zebra but I believe they should eat snails. As for them not feeding this could just be because they are new. What are you feeding?

My substrate is made up of quite fine gravel around 3-4mm and its rounded not sharp.At the moment I am trying them on some shrimp pellets I saw them before having a nible so it could just be like staving your children until they eat something!

I will go and buy another one can golden zebras go with normal zebra loches in a group of two goldens and one normal zebra or am I best to stick with the same type?

thanks for your replies.

I had one Golden with 4 'Angelicus' for a while.

All were same size when I got them but The zebra almost got to double their size but still hung out with them no worries, so should be fine with your suggestion.

Your substrate sounds fine. Mine ate a mixed diet of food, but never saw it go the snails.

You could do that but I would personally would get another golden zebra, they would probably prefer their own species. Just to clarify, we are talking about botia histronica (Golden Zebra) and botia striata (Zebra)? I have my striata with almorhae (Yoyo loach) and they get along just fine. But I have 6 zebra, and only 2 yoyo, wanting to get more though but they are a bit hard to come by down this way.

Substrate sounds fine, I have the small rounded gravel too and no problems.

Mine like the shrimp pellets too. Do you have any blood worm? Try some of that.