Dwarf f/w puffer keepers (Carinotetraodon travancoricus)

breakaway

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Online info pages say to allow about 20L per fish, but that's only because they're messy - if you keep the water quality high you shouldn't have an issue with stocking more heavily. I have 2 females and 1 male in a 70 litre with 4 golden zebra and angelicus loaches, and would be open to getting a couple more, either another pair or more females.

Healthy happy adults can be bred, and lay eggs in java or christmas moss. I haven't looked into it much further than that.

I have given mine baby snails but started with the bigger ones as i brought a bunch home from work and had to wait for them to start making babies :o . Those pics are from when i first got my puffs.

Have no current trademark on the name Mr. Puff :D

Have no current trademark on the name Mr. Puff :D

:D

I think I am going to add 3 of them with my red eyes despite what Ive heard with regards to compatibility. I think with plants it should be ok, and I will probably up the filtration a tad (and by tad I mean utter overkill). Ill report back when I get them, possibly in just over a week.

The red eyes seem less agro than the little ones.

I think I am going to add 3 of them with my red eyes despite what Ive heard with regards to compatibility. I think with plants it should be ok, and I will probably up the filtration a tad (and by tad I mean utter overkill). Ill report back when I get them, possibly in just over a week.

The red eyes seem less agro than the little ones.

:o I hope so, with that size difference i'll be crossing my fingers and holding my breath for your dwarf puffs. If you don't want them they can come join mine :wink:

Hollywood fish farm has dwarf puffers again. Just got another, hope its a female.

awesome, thin k i'll have to pay them a visit. got mine as adults so would be cool to see/keep juveniles.

do you know if mt roskill has them? will give them a call

they come in from the suppliers as Juvis not adults, so you have to give them time to mature.

Indeed, sorry to give the wrong idea. My juveniles are about half the size of my adult females, and 1/4 the size of Mr Puff. I hope i get mostly females, they're much cuter and have nicer markings, though i kind of like the size of Mr Puff :)

Watching them eat snails is funny. I have a snail epidemic in a few tanks at work, and I just used to fill a bag up with snails and take em home. The puffers would circle the snail waiting for it to come out of its shell, then dive bomb them. awesome to watch.

Thats disturbing..

I bought one a day ago they are in a planted tank (30l) with two bumble bee gobies they are also great fish two moving bees to another tank soon.Should I get a couple more puffs?

i loved my bbee gobies, would have kept them if i could trust the puffs not to eat them, though so far they've been fairly placid.

If the 30l is fairly new i would stick to one for now (messy critters), if it's well-established i'd get another one :D