Bubbles

jude

I'm growing plants in a spare tank. It has a fine gravel substrate which I have found impossible to vacuum because it blocks everything I try to use. Because it is heavily planted and has about the right amount of fish for the tank's size, I haven't worried about it and I do regular water changes.

I've been adding chelated iron (tiny amounts) for the past 2 weeks or so. I added a better light yesterday and started a coke bottle C02 injector.

Just before I added these two things I noticed tiny bubbles coming up from the centre of a plant and today there are heaps of them all over the tank. Tiny bubbles mostly although sometimes a group of larger ones shoots to the surface. Some plant's leaves are covered in bubbles. I've peered into the tank for ages and I'm almost certain the bubbles are coming from the plants, not the gravel - but I'm not 100% sure.

So, is this good? Is it a sign the plants are growing and respiring and giving off oxygen or is it perhaps something to do with the gravel never being vacuuumed?

How much light do you have on the tank? Yeah, it's probably a very good thing.:) From the sound of it, it's little bubbles of oxygen produced by the plants. Called pearling sometimes because the bubbles look like little pearls. You only really see it when the plants have heaps of light and are growing very quickly.

I don't know either. Would like to think I just have green (wet?) thumbs but I doubt that's it. Perhaps its the amount of light out on the deck. The proof of the pudding will be whether I can repeat the success when they all come into the inside tank ............ LOL

Although I think part of the success could be the gravel that Roger gave me - and he has heaps still to give away if you want some. Its from his tanks so its well aged. Despite the fact that I washed and washed it, it was still pretty dirty when put in the tank ............... heaps of fertiliser perhaps?

It's the combination of more light and fertiliser. CO2 will make more bubbles and you'll eventually get lots of them continuously coming off in streams. Sounds like you have sunlight on the tank. That will be helping a lot. When you move the tank back inside you'll need to add more light or the bubbles may stop...

If the balance of light fertiliser and CO2 is out you may get lots of algae instead.

You put yeast, sugar and water into the coke bottle. You put a hole in the cap of the bottle and take a tube into the tank. The yeast action generates CO² which bubbles into the tank. CO² is a plant's main food source. It's best if you can get the CO² into the intake of a filter so it dissovles better into the water.

Some care has to be taken not to put too much CO² into the water as too much can distress or even kill fish. Between 15-40ppm is usually considered safe. I run my tank at 15-20ppm. Lots of O² bubbles on the plants and no fish troubles.

Noone was there to ask them about buying some gouramis. Wifey did get a couple guppies and 4 long fin bronze cories. Woman that was catching them was of the "Grab the fish and wack it on the table until it stops moving so it's easier to put it in the bag" mentality...

Adding CO² to a well planted tank increases the O² level to higher than possible with airation. It can be as much as 20% higher and even over saturated. At this point, O² starts gasing off into the atmosphere. You have to increase lighting and fertilisation as you increase CO².

Lots of plants growing well are great for your fish. They use up most of the toxic waste products from uneaten food and fish waste and produce large quantities of O².