need a low growing plant that can cope with...

Sophia

... low-ish light and a bit of sunlight.

At HFF i bought what they call Zealandia but elsewhere it looks like Sagittaria. It is getting swamped with staghorn algae and is not lush anymore. I don't want java moss. I have lots of twisted val and an anubias nana that today has a flower stalk (yay), and some pennywort that I am not particularly attached to but it grows well.

The red leaved plants get leggy and stay green in my tank so anything high light is not an option. I have been putting the light on for nearly the full 12 hours but it hasn't made a difference on anything.

oh and I have been using florapride npk 0-0-3 which has no nitrates and phosphates. our water is also zero nitrate out of the tap too.

overall pic for perspective (tank 60cm wide x 30 x 33)

003.jpg

see there between the dividing wall and the log is the zealandia...

I did have it also on the other side of the wall to soften it but it got too staggy. I want to grow short stuff along the divider but leave most of the sand free.

I am not enjoying the staghorn on the anubias either but I think I have to live with that till I get the tank into a room with less sunlight. :roll:

004.jpg

I am making a val-jungle across the stones there and it's working pretty well. Everyone likes to hide in there and I like the look of it en masse.

I looked at stargrass today and it was nice n cheap too.... will it not try and grow tall to the light though? I thought if i go for something naturally small then I won't be forever arguing with it. I just want something low to run either side of the divider really.

hmmmm

would you call this much plants a heavily or well planted tank yet?

what 'rating' of plantliness would you (any of you) label it?

I would say it has plants in it. I consider my tank planted- or almost heavily planted if I absolutely had to, and tom barr's tanks heavily planted.

my tank is prob. half way to being heavily planted (lots more plants can be shoved in im sure). :lol:

your light will grow stargrass. even indian fern would look nice.

Would some of this be any good. Its low growing as in hasn't made over about 1.5cm in height in my tank, spreads by runners and grows reasonably fast - the only thing is I don't know how it would cope with direct sunlight. I am going on holiday tomorrow but if you want some I can send some in about 12 days. Its the stuff in the foreground.

DSC09737.jpg

thanks Pheonix - I've been rated!! :lol:

Would some of this be any good. Its low growing as in hasn't made over about 1.5cm in height in my tank, spreads by runners and grows reasonably fast - the only thing is I don't know how it would cope with direct sunlight. I am going on holiday tomorrow but if you want some I can send some in about 12 days. Its the stuff in the foreground.

that looks nice, that's what i was trying to achieve with the zealandia - what is the name of your stuff?

the sunlight was direct for an hour or so in spring but it isn't anymore, the staghorn doesn't care though, the room must be light enough for it to think it is haha

I even blocked off one of the short ends of the tank to cut the sunlight down - that was an improvement but not brilliant

I happen to know its not that given that the leaves are only 1 1/2 cm high and less than 1/2cm wide.

Dwarf sag is in fact not a dwarf at all given the height (50cm) that it grows to. Do you think I would be quite so silly to tell all if I had a banned plant in my tank? I don't think so!!! :D

It looks like dwarf sagittaria to me.

Actually it appears to be banned in the Auckland region.... which is a pain :x

I was researching this plant the other week and came across this webpage:

http://www.arc.govt.nz/environment/biosecurity/search-for-plants/index.cfm?63E0F20E-14C2-3D2D-B905-50098EBBE4B9&plantcode=Sagsub

thats S. subulata though, it grows way taller (like 30cm+ tall) while the one adodge has is S. microfolia which stays a lot smaller :D

I happen to know its not that given that the leaves are only 1 1/2 cm high and less than 1/2cm wide.

Dwarf sag is in fact not a dwarf at all given the height (50cm) that it grows to. Do you think I would be quite so silly to tell all if I had a banned plant in my tank? I don't think so!!! :D

Oh yeah... that was silly of me! :oops: