Reducing egg lose?

Lynz

I have about 1000 gold fish eggs attached to clay pots, i have taken the pots out of the pond & placed them into indoor tanks. I used 50% pond water & have airation & one external filter fitted with a sponge filter.

does anyone have any suggestions on further steps to be taken to prevent egg lose?

oooppps,

Keep it dark, you are the only one that wants to see if the babies are out.

Under "normal" circumstances, they are laid in beds of weeds that don't have a bright light shining all the time onto them.

I'm not saying the eggs are light sensitive, but you asked for ways to improve "egg-loss"

Alan 104

Thanks for the input,

The eggs are in two tanks indoors with curtains drawn so very little light

I will cover tanks & add meth blue as suggested & yes they will lay just about anywere, the walls of my pond are covered in eggs & a few patches on the bottom as well.

Thanks again for your comments

Just about all your SA cichlids will produce those numbers of eggs, same for your larger africans.

You're comparing the number of eggs a large fish like a goldfish lays to a tiny fish like a TETRA. The weight of a good sized clutch of eggs laid by a large cichlid would be more than the weight of most tetras. Maybe even several of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update,

Approx 60 eggs hatched after a double dose of meth blue treatment followed a couple of hours later with 50% water change & so far havent lost any fry.

As this lot came from the "garden" pond i have a mixture of parents(comets, vieltails, lionheads, & calico orandas so they will be a grand ole mixture of breeds.

Ah the good old Cassius mongrelus eh?
Chuckle

Another thing to remember when adding airstones is to make sure the is only the cuurent from the airstone running over the eggs, I have found if you have the Air bubbles running over the eggs the will fungus very quickly

/Bruce