So...whats happening for New Years?

Southerrrngirrl

What have you planned for New Years??

My husband and I were thinking about packing up the tent and the dogs, and heading to the Mavora Lakes area but this weather is just terrible. Invercargill just had a torrential downpour about 10 minutes ago. Yet it is supposed to reach 25 degrees tomorrow. What is up with this weather?! Anyway we've flagged that idea and are now toying with a back up plan. Party at someones house *yawn*. Was looking forward to a couple of days camping!

What have you planned for New Years??

but this weather is just terrible. Invercargill just had a torrential downpour about 10 minutes ago. Yet it is supposed to reach 25 degrees tomorrow. What is up with this weather?!

I'll swap yah!!! we've not had any substantial rain for 3 months or more, what little grass we have looks like hay standing in the padocks, cows have dropped abour 550ltrs in last month....blaaaaaaaggggg...

We're going to a mates place, prolly won't make it to count down, have to milk in the AM

Im being dragged to the Missus best friends house. Two of her mates are up the duff so very little drink will be consumed. I plan to doze on the couch till I can go home.

The only thing that changes is the date. Whats the big deal. :-? :-?

:lol:

I am counting the minutes until I can start on the champers. 8)

Well, we seem to have acquired a couple more teenagers for the evening, so apart from the fact that we cannot bundle all of them in the car to go watch the fireworks, there is no way that we are going to leave them home alone...

So looks like we will be staying in this evening.

So am I as Grant was called out AGAIN. :roll:

If he gets back in time we might still head to Picton but considering the miles he has driven today, and he hasn't had his tea yet (it has been in the oven since 6pm), I think we will stay in.

I have just watched the film, Hairspray, and thoroughly enjoyed it. 8)

Can't compare it to the original as I have never seen it.

The only thing that changes is the date. Whats the big deal. :-? :-?

Yah, but it was also a Bluemoon night! that doesn't happen often on New Year's Eve; much less than once in a blue moon :P ... you Missed it? and will have to wait until 2028!

016.jpg

We made it to Picton just in time and sat on the foreshore to watch the fireworks. While we waited we got talking to a couple of Canadian guys on a 3mth scooter tour of NZ. They were enjoying themselves a lot despite one of the scooters having mechanical problems.

Well in the end we did head to the Mavora Lakes area. Was a bit windy on the way up but we were hoping that it would be sheltered in there. We got there it wasn't too bad, pitched our tent then, made a couple of friends with some other campers (who knew there would be so many people there!!) and had a few drinks. Saw in the New Year, then not long after went to bed.

On New Years day we headed over to Te Anau to get our gas bottle filled and picked up a few handy camp supplies. Headed back to Mavora only to discover the wind had picked up quite considerably, but it was still sunny. Sat outside, had a wee wine and read a book. It was coming up to 6:30 when we started to feel spits of rain. We put the door of the tent up on its poles so we could cook under cover. We got BBQ tea done, and no sooner had we done the dishes the heavens opened and the winds really picked up speed. So the rest of the night was spent in side playing card games, THEN the thunder & lightning show began and rumbled on for several hours. At 10:30 we called it a night and rolled into bed. At 2:00am we were woken by an almighty gust of wind that blew several tent pegs out. Hubby quickly reinstated them and came back to bed. Neither of us got much sleep after that. The wind was horrific, battering the tent from all directions and the rain was bucketing down. At 4:30 AM we both decided that we had endured enough, the rain had stopped so we tore down the tent, bundled it in the car and left.

Happy New Year everyone!

Well in the end we did head to the Mavora Lakes area. Was a bit windy on the way up but we were hoping that it would be sheltered in there. We got there it wasn't too bad, pitched our tent then, made a couple of friends with some other campers (who knew there would be so many people there!!) and had a few drinks. Saw in the New Year, then not long after went to bed.

On New Years day we headed over to Te Anau to get our gas bottle filled and picked up a few handy camp supplies. Headed back to Mavora only to discover the wind had picked up quite considerably, but it was still sunny. Sat outside, had a wee wine and read a book. It was coming up to 6:30 when we started to feel spits of rain. We put the door of the tent up on its poles so we could cook under cover. We got BBQ tea done, and no sooner had we done the dishes the heavens opened and the winds really picked up speed. So the rest of the night was spent in side playing card games, THEN the thunder & lightning show began and rumbled on for several hours. At 10:30 we called it a night and rolled into bed. At 2:00am we were woken by an almighty gust of wind that blew several tent pegs out. Hubby quickly reinstated them and came back to bed. Neither of us got much sleep after that. The wind was horrific, battering the tent from all directions and the rain was bucketing down. At 4:30 AM we both decided that we had endured enough, the rain had stopped so we tore down the tent, bundled it in the car and left.

Happy New Year everyone!

The perfect kiwi camping holiday. LOL